Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sequential Five Speed Transmission

by Enthusiast ‎04-26-2016 10:49 AM - edited ‎04-30-2016 06:42 AM

My name is Terell Dunn. I'm majoring in mechanical engineering at the University of Alabama in Huntsville. I modelled a sequentially shifted, five speed manual transmission of my own design.

The transmission is of the synchro-less, constant mesh type. Dog clutches are used to engage each gear. I included the center differential within the transmission. All of the gears' teeth were designed with true involute curve geometry using the table driven curve command. For the spur gears, a helix was used to sweep the involute tooth profile along the gear axis. A loft was used to create the tapered tooth of the bevel gears. 63 unique parts were used in the model for a grand total of 337 parts.

Terell Dunn Five Speed Transmission.jpg

Comments
by Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
on ‎04-28-2016 10:00 AM

Dear Mr Dunn,

OMG, it's beautiful.  What a great model, wow.

You should enter this into the Student Design Contest (http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Student-Design-Contest/con-p/Student-Design-Contest)

I will send a link to this post to our senior execs in R&D; they will be impressed.

Have you thought of taking the Solid Edge certification exam (http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/products/solid-edge/certification/index.shtml).  If you think your Solid Edge skills are good then please contact Peter Llewellyn (peter.llewellyn@siemens.com) and ask for a promo code.

Thanks for using Siemens Solid Edge.

Regards

Mike

by Siemens Pioneer Siemens Pioneer
on ‎04-28-2016 10:11 AM

WOW! Very impressive.

by Community Manager Community Manager
on ‎04-28-2016 10:19 AM

Wow. Super nice work. I know nothing about transmissions, but I know a thing or two about Solid Edge :-) and this great stuff.

PS> What year are you at Alabama? Did you know Solid Edge is written by a team "up North" :-) in Huntsville Alabama?

by Enthusiast
on ‎04-30-2016 12:16 AM

Thank you all for the kind words.

MIke, 

I thought I had entered the contest by posting the model on this forum. Am I mistaken?

dcstaples,

I'm a junior at UAHuntsville. I don't believe I knew SolidEdge was written by a team in Huntsville. That's neat.

by Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
on ‎04-30-2016 06:19 AM

Dear Mr Dunn,

Yes, sorry; you've already entered the Student Design Contest.  My mistake.

Mike

by Enthusiast
on ‎04-30-2016 07:46 AM

No worries. Thanks for looking out for us.

by Community Admin Community Admin
on ‎05-19-2016 10:54 AM
Status changed to: Winner-2016-04

Congratulations, Terell! You're the April 2016 winner!