Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Design Contest

• My name is Tamas Voros. I am a graduate student At Deri Miksa Vocational School in Szeged (Hungary). I study CAD-CAM IT, which includes database management, programming, drawing manually and by computer, CNC machining and CAD modelling with Solid Edge.

My submitted work is a Rotary Drum Mower for a smaller plantation farm.

In total it has 311 parts, 99 of them are different. I have worked on it for 4 weeks.

The most challenging task was to prepare the variable cross-section welds, as well as the proper fitting of the cone wheel drive.

kasza.1.jpg

kasza.2.jpg

asd.jpg

asd2.jpg

April 2019 Winner - Rotary Drum Mower

Enthusiast

My name is Tamas Voros. I am a graduate student At Deri Miksa Vocational School in Szeged (Hungary). I study CAD-CAM IT, which includes database management, programming, drawing manually and by computer, CNC machining and CAD modelling with Solid Edge.

My submitted work is a Rotary Drum Mower for a smaller plantation farm.

In total it has 311 parts, 99 of them are different. I have worked on it for 4 weeks.

The most challenging task was to prepare the variable cross-section welds, as well as the proper fitting of the cone wheel drive.

kasza.1.jpg

kasza.2.jpg

asd.jpg

asd2.jpg

• My name is Danielle, I have just finished my first year of Product Design Engineering, BEng, at Loughborough University. 

As a part of a visualisation module, I created a model of a Harken self-tailoring winch used on sailing yachts. The winch enables large quantities of tension to be applied to halyards that would not otherwise be possible through manpower. This is done through the friction applied to the gears and bearings within the device, with the NX software I was able to include these detailed parts and constraint them to the final model assembly. 
    The main focus of the project was to create a model of a product that was a representation of the original object. This was done through the use of lighting and shadow effect in the RayTrace studio of the NX software. HDR images were used for the mirrored environment effect on surfaces meaning when the final render was exported onto a visual scene the model slotted in seamlessly. 
    I feel I have embellished my NX skill base throughout this project which I look forward to using again in future tasks.

3. Final Winch- HDR.jpgFinal render of winch (NX)

5. Final Winch- ropes.jpgAction shot of the winch (NX & Photoshop [background image from google])

2018 September Winner-Harken Sailing Winch

Theorist

My name is Danielle, I have just finished my first year of Product Design Engineering, BEng, at Loughborough University. 

As a part of a visualisation module, I created a model of a Harken self-tailoring winch used on sailing yachts. The winch enables large quantities of tension to be applied to halyards that would not otherwise be possible through manpower. This is done through the friction applied to the gears and bearings within the device, with the NX software I was able to include these detailed parts and constraint them to the final model assembly. 
    The main focus of the project was to create a model of a product that was a representation of the original object. This was done through the use of lighting and shadow effect in the RayTrace studio of the NX software. HDR images were used for the mirrored environment effect on surfaces meaning when the final render was exported onto a visual scene the model slotted in seamlessly. 
    I feel I have embellished my NX skill base throughout this project which I look forward to using again in future tasks.

3. Final Winch- HDR.jpgFinal render of winch (NX)

5. Final Winch- ropes.jpgAction shot of the winch (NX & Photoshop [background image from google])

• Monthly Winner
  • My name is Joseph, I am a sophomore attending UAH with the aim of earning a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering. I completed this project for my MAE211 CAD class. All parts and assemblies were made in Solid Edge using the ordered environment. My assembly is based closely on diagrams I found of the Weatherford Maximizer II unit, I used available dimensions for their 912-365-168 model. There are 13 subassemblies used for the bearings, two families of parts used for the nuts and bolts, 160 unique parts, all adding up to a total of 1125 parts in my assembly. There is one motor driving the entire assembly, transmitting the power accurately through the gears and arms across 7 axes of rotation to move over 400 parts. Left down.jpgLeft rear viewThe nuts and bolts were placed using patterns and mirrors when possible. Sometimes Solid Edge discern which holes to pattern the parts into, which made the process more time consuming than I had anticipated.Left up.jpgThe pump positioned partway through the upstrokeThe motor section of the assembly was also a bit more difficult to make correctly as the diagrams lacked large amounts of information on that area. I decided to use an electric motor, as I found I did not have time to create an accurate combustion engine. This portion was based off of images and videos I found online, and is less accurate than the rest of the model. The site isn't letting me upload more images in this post, so I will add more information and details in a second one.

2018 May winner - Maximizer II Oil Rig

Dreamer

My name is Joseph, I am a sophomore attending UAH with the aim of earning a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering. I completed this project for my MAE211 CAD class. All parts and assemblies were made in Solid Edge using the ordered environment. My assembly is based closely on diagrams I found of the Weatherford Maximizer II unit, I used available dimensions for their 912-365-168 model. There are 13 subassemblies used for the bearings, two families of parts used for the nuts and bolts, 160 unique parts, all adding up to a total of 1125 parts in my assembly. There is one motor driving the entire assembly, transmitting the power accurately through the gears and arms across 7 axes of rotation to move over 400 parts. Left down.jpgLeft rear viewThe nuts and bolts were placed using patterns and mirrors when possible. Sometimes Solid Edge discern which holes to pattern the parts into, which made the process more time consuming than I had anticipated.Left up.jpgThe pump positioned partway through the upstrokeThe motor section of the assembly was also a bit more difficult to make correctly as the diagrams lacked large amounts of information on that area. I decided to use an electric motor, as I found I did not have time to create an accurate combustion engine. This portion was based off of images and videos I found online, and is less accurate than the rest of the model. The site isn't letting me upload more images in this post, so I will add more information and details in a second one.

• 3-1.jpg

A blend of Siemens NX and Adobe Photoshop.

Bialetti Coffee Maker Render -2018 July Winner

Enthusiast

3-1.jpg

A blend of Siemens NX and Adobe Photoshop.

• Monthly Winner
  •  

Giving an iconic design new life.

This is a shell of one of the old hitachi boom boxes from the 80's.

It can run off batteries or the mains, the former leading to the iconic image of youths walking around with these speakers slung over one shoulder blasting out the latest tunes. 

I modelled and rendered this image in NX 10, creating my own decals in photoshop, even the radio band display had to be custom made to be accurate to the true design. The detail dosn't stop there, fine details such as the tape spools, button dimples, and tuner dial grip are true to life.

Institution: Loughborough university

Degree: Sport Technologycompress.pngMy Image (compressed)high_q_7.pngClose up (compressed)top_compress.pngA view form up top (compressed)vintage-hitachi-3d-bass-super-woofer_360_7a99ae10edcc8d07a09ef649c248bca6.jpgThe product

Hitachi 3D Bass Super Woofer -July 2017 Winner

Enthusiast

Giving an iconic design new life.

This is a shell of one of the old hitachi boom boxes from the 80's.

It can run off batteries or the mains, the former leading to the iconic image of youths walking around with these speakers slung over one shoulder blasting out the latest tunes. 

I modelled and rendered this image in NX 10, creating my own decals in photoshop, even the radio band display had to be custom made to be accurate to the true design. The detail dosn't stop there, fine details such as the tape spools, button dimples, and tuner dial grip are true to life.

Institution: Loughborough university

Degree: Sport Technologycompress.pngMy Image (compressed)high_q_7.pngClose up (compressed)top_compress.pngA view form up top (compressed)vintage-hitachi-3d-bass-super-woofer_360_7a99ae10edcc8d07a09ef649c248bca6.jpgThe product

• Monthly Winner
  • For my first-year visualisation module at Loughborough University, I chose to model and render my pocket watch. 

After producing dimensioned drawings of the watch I set about modelling each part of the main body individually and then assembled them in a master assembly file. Through utilizing a wide range of functions including revolving, patterning and curve projection, I full modelled not only the outside form of the watch but also the internal workings. I took care that the gears, springs and screws all fully aligned and interlocked as to be as accurate to the watch as possible.

I added small blends to make various edges of components "pop" in the light and modified facet settings to improve the quality of my forms. After this, I set about rendering my design by selecting the default materials and then editing and modifying the advanced settings, for example by adding extra texture layers and changing reflectivity. I then spent time finding a range of lighting settings and setups ranging from dark room spotlights to bright studio lighting to create a range of visualisations. Through assembly constraints, I also made the model fully movable which allowed me to open and close the casing, rotate the clock hands and move the top ring. 

I was very pleased with the final outcome and my range of visualisations and continue to refine my CAD skills between university projects. 1.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

2018 October Winner - Antique Pocket Watch

Theorist

For my first-year visualisation module at Loughborough University, I chose to model and render my pocket watch. 

After producing dimensioned drawings of the watch I set about modelling each part of the main body individually and then assembled them in a master assembly file. Through utilizing a wide range of functions including revolving, patterning and curve projection, I full modelled not only the outside form of the watch but also the internal workings. I took care that the gears, springs and screws all fully aligned and interlocked as to be as accurate to the watch as possible.

I added small blends to make various edges of components "pop" in the light and modified facet settings to improve the quality of my forms. After this, I set about rendering my design by selecting the default materials and then editing and modifying the advanced settings, for example by adding extra texture layers and changing reflectivity. I then spent time finding a range of lighting settings and setups ranging from dark room spotlights to bright studio lighting to create a range of visualisations. Through assembly constraints, I also made the model fully movable which allowed me to open and close the casing, rotate the clock hands and move the top ring. 

I was very pleased with the final outcome and my range of visualisations and continue to refine my CAD skills between university projects. 1.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

• Monthly Winner
  • Loughborough University 1st year  Product Design Engineering Student

2017 Sept Winner - Bodum Cafetiere

Enthusiast

Loughborough University 1st year  Product Design Engineering Student

• Monthly Winner
  • Hello, my name is Gareth Montgomery and I have designed a fully functional V8 engine. This model exhibits the type of engine that would be used in a high performance road car before direct injection was introduced. The camshafts are belt driven through the crankshaft like a real life engine, which in turn rockers the valves open and closed in certain time delays. In my design I have included an intake manifold and exhaust manifold, both with a smooth constant form to produce good airflow properties. All components of this engine were designed using Solid Edge through a variety of commands such as 3D features, variables tables, Xpress Route and surface modelling. Keyshot was then used to experiment with different lighting, environments and materials to render high quality images of the final product.

This engine design has been produced for my CAD module this semester as I am a final year student at Ulster University, Northern Ireland. I decided to design an engine for this module because I am a keen car enthusiast who is interested in motor technologies and I would love to get into a career involving automotive design.Engine ISO 5.jpgEngine ISO 1.jpgEngine ISO 2.jpgEngine ISO 4.jpgEngine ISO 4.jpg

(view in My Videos)

2018 April Winner - V8 Engine

Theorist

Hello, my name is Gareth Montgomery and I have designed a fully functional V8 engine. This model exhibits the type of engine that would be used in a high performance road car before direct injection was introduced. The camshafts are belt driven through the crankshaft like a real life engine, which in turn rockers the valves open and closed in certain time delays. In my design I have included an intake manifold and exhaust manifold, both with a smooth constant form to produce good airflow properties. All components of this engine were designed using Solid Edge through a variety of commands such as 3D features, variables tables, Xpress Route and surface modelling. Keyshot was then used to experiment with different lighting, environments and materials to render high quality images of the final product.

This engine design has been produced for my CAD module this semester as I am a final year student at Ulster University, Northern Ireland. I decided to design an engine for this module because I am a keen car enthusiast who is interested in motor technologies and I would love to get into a career involving automotive design.Engine ISO 5.jpgEngine ISO 1.jpgEngine ISO 2.jpgEngine ISO 4.jpgEngine ISO 4.jpg

(view in My Videos)

• Greetings, my name is Brady Richardson.

I am currently a mechanical engineering student at the University of Alabama in Huntsville. For my final project in my MAE 211 class (Intro to Computational Tools) I recreated a 1/48 scale model of a Panzer III tank. I chose a tank for my project beacuse I love history, espicially the history of military vechicles and equipment. I also hope to work for a defense contractor in Huntsville, possibly Redstone Arsenal. One of the most frustrating and fuflling parts to design were the treads of the tank. I managed to reach a state were the treads move in a realistic path, and without interfering with the wheels. I included two renders created in Keyshot, as well as a youtube video of my treads in motion.Panzer_III.7.jpgPanzer_III.13.jpg

2017 December Winner - Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf. L

Dreamer

Greetings, my name is Brady Richardson.

I am currently a mechanical engineering student at the University of Alabama in Huntsville. For my final project in my MAE 211 class (Intro to Computational Tools) I recreated a 1/48 scale model of a Panzer III tank. I chose a tank for my project beacuse I love history, espicially the history of military vechicles and equipment. I also hope to work for a defense contractor in Huntsville, possibly Redstone Arsenal. One of the most frustrating and fuflling parts to design were the treads of the tank. I managed to reach a state were the treads move in a realistic path, and without interfering with the wheels. I included two renders created in Keyshot, as well as a youtube video of my treads in motion.Panzer_III.7.jpgPanzer_III.13.jpg

• Hello, my name is Gavin Corey and I have designed a Triathlon bike which exhibits the latest technology in the Triathlon racing world. This bike has an extremely stiff yet aerodynamic structure to minimise power loss and maximise speed. Every component was created using Solid Edge and a wide variety of modelling techniques were incorporated including 3D sketching, surface modelling and assembly modelling. I also availed of the Engineering Reference Application to develop suitable gears for the bike. I used Keyshot render to devise a high quality final image.

I am a Final Year Mechanical Engineering student at the Ulster University, Northern Ireland. This project will be used in my CAD module for this semester. I am a competitive triathlete with a keen eye for design and for this reason I wanted to enhance my capabilities in CAD whilst also developing an understanding of how bicycles are designed.Bike Complete Assembly Render.jpg

2018 February winner Triathlon Bike

Visionary

Hello, my name is Gavin Corey and I have designed a Triathlon bike which exhibits the latest technology in the Triathlon racing world. This bike has an extremely stiff yet aerodynamic structure to minimise power loss and maximise speed. Every component was created using Solid Edge and a wide variety of modelling techniques were incorporated including 3D sketching, surface modelling and assembly modelling. I also availed of the Engineering Reference Application to develop suitable gears for the bike. I used Keyshot render to devise a high quality final image.

I am a Final Year Mechanical Engineering student at the Ulster University, Northern Ireland. This project will be used in my CAD module for this semester. I am a competitive triathlete with a keen eye for design and for this reason I wanted to enhance my capabilities in CAD whilst also developing an understanding of how bicycles are designed.Bike Complete Assembly Render.jpg

• I designed a unique pair of skis based on the general shape of contour skis and several ski bindings. In the image is one ski, set on a wood deck among the mountains. The ski has a blizzard logo on the front and an image of mountains on the side of the rear part of the ski bindings, as a potential company logo. The toe cup (blue), heel leaver (dark grey blue), heel cup (blue) and brake (silver, dark grey blue, black) are all movable, to allow the ski to be pictured in a state of no-boot on the ski, and boot on the ski.

This ski was made as part of a visualisation module, which is part of my 1st year Product Design Engineering degree at Loughborough University.Mount-Ski.jpg

2018 August Winner - Mount-Ski

Dreamer

I designed a unique pair of skis based on the general shape of contour skis and several ski bindings. In the image is one ski, set on a wood deck among the mountains. The ski has a blizzard logo on the front and an image of mountains on the side of the rear part of the ski bindings, as a potential company logo. The toe cup (blue), heel leaver (dark grey blue), heel cup (blue) and brake (silver, dark grey blue, black) are all movable, to allow the ski to be pictured in a state of no-boot on the ski, and boot on the ski.

This ski was made as part of a visualisation module, which is part of my 1st year Product Design Engineering degree at Loughborough University.Mount-Ski.jpg

• Monthly Winner
  • Dear Siemens community, my name is Yessenzhan Issenov and I decided to create 3D model of the iconic car using Solid Edge ST10. I am a student at Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (Canada) and worked as a geophysicist in the past. My goal was to restore my basic Solid Edge skills and to prove myself that I can design more or less complicated assembly that looks visually appealing. The idea of designing a spoke wheel seemed to be challenging for me; therefore, I decided to start from it.

My Bugatti assembly consists of different parts such as frame, suspension, engine, transmission, body parts, radiator, wheels, fuel tank, front/rear lights, seats, belts, functional steering mechanism, and others. It took me about 600+ hours to complete my model in Solid Edge and few times I wanted to give up. Another time consuming part was high quality Keyshot rendering with variety of colors, materials, environments, etc..The entire assembly is around 1.2 GB of data for 63 different parts. I have used actual pictures of this car as a reference for approximate dimensions and accuracy. Most of parts can move which can be seen from the video that I uploaded on youtube (Bugatti Type 35 Solid Edge). 

I have been learning automotive technologies and cars since my childhood. I really love working on my cars in the garage and solve different types of mechanical challenges. Solid Edge is a fantastic tool to design anything even for people whose profession is in different area. The designing of this car is a great opportunity to learn new techniques and tools in Solid Edge. 

Bugatti_Type_35_Contest_1.jpgFront 3/4 viewBugatti_Type_35_Contest_2.jpgBack 3/4 viewBugatti_Type_35_Contest_3.jpgInterior DesignBugatti_Type_35_Contest_4.jpgEngine Bay (exhaust side)Bugatti_Type_35_Contest_5.jpgEngine Bay (intake side)Bugatti_Type_35_Contest_6.jpgNight render in Keyshot

Bugatti Type 35 - 2018 June Winner

Theorist

Dear Siemens community, my name is Yessenzhan Issenov and I decided to create 3D model of the iconic car using Solid Edge ST10. I am a student at Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (Canada) and worked as a geophysicist in the past. My goal was to restore my basic Solid Edge skills and to prove myself that I can design more or less complicated assembly that looks visually appealing. The idea of designing a spoke wheel seemed to be challenging for me; therefore, I decided to start from it.

My Bugatti assembly consists of different parts such as frame, suspension, engine, transmission, body parts, radiator, wheels, fuel tank, front/rear lights, seats, belts, functional steering mechanism, and others. It took me about 600+ hours to complete my model in Solid Edge and few times I wanted to give up. Another time consuming part was high quality Keyshot rendering with variety of colors, materials, environments, etc..The entire assembly is around 1.2 GB of data for 63 different parts. I have used actual pictures of this car as a reference for approximate dimensions and accuracy. Most of parts can move which can be seen from the video that I uploaded on youtube (Bugatti Type 35 Solid Edge). 

I have been learning automotive technologies and cars since my childhood. I really love working on my cars in the garage and solve different types of mechanical challenges. Solid Edge is a fantastic tool to design anything even for people whose profession is in different area. The designing of this car is a great opportunity to learn new techniques and tools in Solid Edge. 

Bugatti_Type_35_Contest_1.jpgFront 3/4 viewBugatti_Type_35_Contest_2.jpgBack 3/4 viewBugatti_Type_35_Contest_3.jpgInterior DesignBugatti_Type_35_Contest_4.jpgEngine Bay (exhaust side)Bugatti_Type_35_Contest_5.jpgEngine Bay (intake side)Bugatti_Type_35_Contest_6.jpgNight render in Keyshot

•      I created the model using Solid Edge, rendered using Keyshot.  I modeled the moving parts first, in the order of their movement:  starting with the windup key, then progressing to the brass gear and coil on the left, then to the brass gears at the bottom, then to the silver wheel on the right and the purple coil beneath it, saving the hands until I created the face.  I then began the assembly, using it to determine the size of the casing, and basing the mounting back (which can only slightly be seen in the picture) entirely on the positions of the gears.

The image is from above.  All parts are showing, so some of the detail of the gears is obscured by the casing, but the case has enough open space that the inner workings are still mostly visible.

albritton_pocketwatch_render3.jpgPocket Watch Render

I am a first-year Mechanical Engineering student at the University of Huntsville in Alabama.  This assembly is my final project for a CAD design course focused the Solid Edge ordered environment, "MAE 211: Intro to Computational Tools."

Octagonal Pocket Watch using Solid Edge-May Winner

Dreamer

I created the model using Solid Edge, rendered using Keyshot.  I modeled the moving parts first, in the order of their movement:  starting with the windup key, then progressing to the brass gear and coil on the left, then to the brass gears at the bottom, then to the silver wheel on the right and the purple coil beneath it, saving the hands until I created the face.  I then began the assembly, using it to determine the size of the casing, and basing the mounting back (which can only slightly be seen in the picture) entirely on the positions of the gears.

The image is from above.  All parts are showing, so some of the detail of the gears is obscured by the casing, but the case has enough open space that the inner workings are still mostly visible.

albritton_pocketwatch_render3.jpgPocket Watch Render

I am a first-year Mechanical Engineering student at the University of Huntsville in Alabama.  This assembly is my final project for a CAD design course focused the Solid Edge ordered environment, "MAE 211: Intro to Computational Tools."

• My name is Csaba Juhász. I am from Hungary. I study in Kecskemet, Hungary at Neumann János University as mechanical engineer. I created a multifunctional printer, which contains 99 parts, of which 75 are different. There are a couple of very complicated surface modeled parts in the assembly. I created the model with Solid Edge and rendered it with Keyshot. 

2018 Jan Winner - Multifunction printer

Theorist

My name is Csaba Juhász. I am from Hungary. I study in Kecskemet, Hungary at Neumann János University as mechanical engineer. I created a multifunctional printer, which contains 99 parts, of which 75 are different. There are a couple of very complicated surface modeled parts in the assembly. I created the model with Solid Edge and rendered it with Keyshot. 

• University of Houston Industrial DesignCamera_Tripod_Final_01-Viewset 19.169.jpgCamera_Tripod_Final_01-Viewset 20.171.jpgCamera_Tripod_Final_01-Viewset 21.173.jpgCamera_Tripod_Final_01-Viewset 22.175.jpgCamera_Tripod_Final_01-Viewset 24.179.jpgCamera_Tripod_Final_01-Viewset 26.183.jpgCamera_Tripod_Final_01-Camera 15.152.jpgCamera_Tripod_Final_01-Camera 16.154.jpgCamera_Tripod_Final_01-Camera 19.158.jpgCamera_Tripod_Context_02B.jpgDesigned and modeled a DSLR camera and tripod using Siemens NX.  The final renders were done using Keyshot.  The concept behind this DSLR is a simple and minimialist dslr that only has the right amount of buttons so not to confuse users.  The tripod supplements this concept by having a simple tripod that is not overly complicated to setup.  The focus and appraoch was primarily on ergonomics and user-centered design.

2017 November Winner - DSLR Camera and Tripod

Enthusiast

University of Houston Industrial DesignCamera_Tripod_Final_01-Viewset 19.169.jpgCamera_Tripod_Final_01-Viewset 20.171.jpgCamera_Tripod_Final_01-Viewset 21.173.jpgCamera_Tripod_Final_01-Viewset 22.175.jpgCamera_Tripod_Final_01-Viewset 24.179.jpgCamera_Tripod_Final_01-Viewset 26.183.jpgCamera_Tripod_Final_01-Camera 15.152.jpgCamera_Tripod_Final_01-Camera 16.154.jpgCamera_Tripod_Final_01-Camera 19.158.jpgCamera_Tripod_Context_02B.jpgDesigned and modeled a DSLR camera and tripod using Siemens NX.  The final renders were done using Keyshot.  The concept behind this DSLR is a simple and minimialist dslr that only has the right amount of buttons so not to confuse users.  The tripod supplements this concept by having a simple tripod that is not overly complicated to setup.  The focus and appraoch was primarily on ergonomics and user-centered design.

• Monthly Winner
  • Hello, my name is Robert and I am a Sophmore studying Aerospace Engineering at The University of Alabama in Huntsville. I modeled a futuristic electric superbike that would be used for high-speed, recreational activities. It has a streamlined design that partially encapsulates the rider, while maintaining a low profile to maximize efficiency and speed. In addition, the superbike is designed to only run on ultra-smooth, glass-like surfaces, as its wheel covers and large turning radius are only effective in this environment. The electric motor lies at the center of the bike and can be seen from the outside through the glass panels on either side of the bodywork, and through a system of shafts and gears it rotates the rear wheel. Finally, key elements of the bike have been illuminated to make it look cool. Also, as the superbike is set in a dark environment, the lights create interesting reflections that could not be achieved in a lighter setting.

I designed this Electric Superbike as a result of a final design that I had for my CAD class at UAH. This is the first time I have ever used Solid Edge or Keyshot, and I am excited that I have gained such a valuable skill, that will hopefully better my career to come. I found designing, drawing, and rendering this bike to be one of the most fun experiences that I have had in college yet. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Ultramodern_Superbike_2.jpgA front view of the bike in its natural, dark environment.Ultramodern_Superbike_4.jpgA rear view, with the gauge cluster in sight.

Ultramodern_Superbike_3.jpgThe Superbike reflected across its glassy ground.Light_Cycle_Render_8.jpgThis is an inner view of the bike, with all of the frame exposed, as well as the motor as the various driveshafts.Light_Cycle_Render_10__Grade_This_One.jpgA more defined view of the Superbike on a lighter background.

2018 December Winner-Ultramodern Electric Superbike

Visionary

Hello, my name is Robert and I am a Sophmore studying Aerospace Engineering at The University of Alabama in Huntsville. I modeled a futuristic electric superbike that would be used for high-speed, recreational activities. It has a streamlined design that partially encapsulates the rider, while maintaining a low profile to maximize efficiency and speed. In addition, the superbike is designed to only run on ultra-smooth, glass-like surfaces, as its wheel covers and large turning radius are only effective in this environment. The electric motor lies at the center of the bike and can be seen from the outside through the glass panels on either side of the bodywork, and through a system of shafts and gears it rotates the rear wheel. Finally, key elements of the bike have been illuminated to make it look cool. Also, as the superbike is set in a dark environment, the lights create interesting reflections that could not be achieved in a lighter setting.

I designed this Electric Superbike as a result of a final design that I had for my CAD class at UAH. This is the first time I have ever used Solid Edge or Keyshot, and I am excited that I have gained such a valuable skill, that will hopefully better my career to come. I found designing, drawing, and rendering this bike to be one of the most fun experiences that I have had in college yet. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Ultramodern_Superbike_2.jpgA front view of the bike in its natural, dark environment.Ultramodern_Superbike_4.jpgA rear view, with the gauge cluster in sight.

Ultramodern_Superbike_3.jpgThe Superbike reflected across its glassy ground.Light_Cycle_Render_8.jpgThis is an inner view of the bike, with all of the frame exposed, as well as the motor as the various driveshafts.Light_Cycle_Render_10__Grade_This_One.jpgA more defined view of the Superbike on a lighter background.

• My name is Bálint Horváth. I live in Serbia and I am doing my studies as a technician Beszédes József secondary school in Magyarkanizsa.

During the last three years I did a lot of CAD models and due to this I got some really good experiences is the use of Solid Edge.
    My project includes a complete writing desk, with great emphasis on the office machines. One of them is a stapler which consists of 14 elements and of which all are different. I made an animation film about the production procedure of one plate element and I used Excel VBA for it. The baseplate and the cover plate of structure is made by surface modelling, without using the order of others. It took me about 25 hours to create the true to life copy of the whole panel in Solid Edge. After finishing the work I took a picture of it in KeyShot.

Beside the modern stapler, I made my grandfather’s very old stapler too. I also tried to show the shabbiness of it in Keyshot. In the picture you can see the two stapler side by side.

The paper punch mainly consists of plate elements made in sheet metal modul.

There is also a pen on the writing desk. The inventor of the pen is also Hungarian like me, his name is Bíró László.

In the picture frame there is a photo of myself.

Stapler's magazin bending in Solid Edge ST9 with Excel VBA: https://youtu.be/z5bpwivYRU4

2018 March Winner - CAD desktop

Theorist

My name is Bálint Horváth. I live in Serbia and I am doing my studies as a technician Beszédes József secondary school in Magyarkanizsa.

During the last three years I did a lot of CAD models and due to this I got some really good experiences is the use of Solid Edge.
    My project includes a complete writing desk, with great emphasis on the office machines. One of them is a stapler which consists of 14 elements and of which all are different. I made an animation film about the production procedure of one plate element and I used Excel VBA for it. The baseplate and the cover plate of structure is made by surface modelling, without using the order of others. It took me about 25 hours to create the true to life copy of the whole panel in Solid Edge. After finishing the work I took a picture of it in KeyShot.

Beside the modern stapler, I made my grandfather’s very old stapler too. I also tried to show the shabbiness of it in Keyshot. In the picture you can see the two stapler side by side.

The paper punch mainly consists of plate elements made in sheet metal modul.

There is also a pen on the writing desk. The inventor of the pen is also Hungarian like me, his name is Bíró László.

In the picture frame there is a photo of myself.

Stapler's magazin bending in Solid Edge ST9 with Excel VBA: https://youtu.be/z5bpwivYRU4

• As part of my final year module in CAE at Ulster University, it required designing an assembly (as well as the utilisation of the many other features of Solid Edge). For the assignment I chose a bicycle, which can be seen in the attached photo and video below. 

(view in My Videos)

Bicycle Designed on Solid Edge ST8 - 2017 June Winner

Theorist

As part of my final year module in CAE at Ulster University, it required designing an assembly (as well as the utilisation of the many other features of Solid Edge). For the assignment I chose a bicycle, which can be seen in the attached photo and video below. 

(view in My Videos)