Flow Around an Annulus

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

I'm trying to model flow of 5 intersecting drillings between pressure chambers that are tied together at the annulus of a spool valve. Is it best to model this as the spool valve THBAO013 and a volume TFC02 attached to port 1 or is there a better way to capture flow around the annulus between drillings when the spool is closed? If the volume method is the way to go, what is the best way to connect 6 ports together in a volume. I believe I will need to use two TFC02 volumes, but how can I tie them together being that they are both capacitance type models?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Flow Around an Annulus

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Hello,

Indeed connecting the THBAO013 spool valve to a volume element is the prefered method to model this kind of geometries.

You then have several possibilities to connect 6 ports together in a single volume:

1. Use the 6 port volume TFC03 which is right next to TFC02 in the THH volumes category6_ports_volume.pngTFC03
  2. Use a dynamic volume, in which you choose the number of ports when you place it on the sketchdynamic_chamber.pngdynamic chamber
  3. Use connecting nodes directly connected to one port of the volume to add new port

Volume_plus_node.pngTFC02 volume + node

N.B: the first two methods only work with fixed volume. Be careful when using HCD or THCD components like THBAO013 as they also compute a variation of volume which will impact the pressure in the connected chamber. If your geometry is such that a displacement of the spool induces  a change of volume in the connected chamber (I don't think this is the case here, but it is hard to tell from the attached picture alone), then you should use the variable volume from the THCD library (THBHC11) instead of a fixed volume from the THH library.

In this case you should use the third method (i.e connect a node to the variable volume) to add ports.

THCD_example.png

Best regards