Highlighted

"electric angle" parameter in EMDPMSM01 submodel

Builder
Builder

Hi,

I am new guy using Sicenter Amesim and working with EMD library for electric machine control. In the linear submodel EMDPMSM01 for permanent magnet synchronous machine (3Phase), there is a parameter "electrical angle". I cannot find the explanation about this parameter. Is it rotor inital position or reference frame position or something else?

2018-09-14 08_05_04-Simcenter 3D - Pre_Post.png

Thanks,

Kan

6 REPLIES 6

Re: "electric angle" parameter in EMDPMSM01 submodel

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

This is how the electrical angle is defined:

image.png

p is the number of pole pairs.

See with the demo named PMSM_ModelComparison,  below the "electrical angle" is compared with the integral of "pole pairs * rotor relative speed"

image.png

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hi,

Maybe just a small precision compared to the previous answer.

For synchronous machine, the stator phase A is the reference of the stator. The rotor field is the reference of the rotor. The electric angle is the angle between the stator and the rotor reference frame:

Thetae_Definition.png

This is why this electric angle “thetae” is linked to electric machine mechanical angle “thetam” with the relation:

thetae = p*thetam

“p” being the machine pole pair numbers.

Builder
Builder

Hi Emmanuel_D and fpasteur,

Thanks for the explanation.

If i understand correctly,  the parameter "electric angle" is the angle between rotor field and the stator reference. As fpasteur mentioned, for syncrhonous machine,  the stator reference is in general the magnetic field center of phase A. So if the stator is stationary (in most modeling case), i can call this parameter as initial position of the rotor (assume the position of rotor is defined by the angle between them).

BR,

Kan

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hi Kan,

Basically this electric angle will vary as the motor is rotating.  For synchronous machine, we use this angle to evaluate the stationary quantities of the machine in the rotating Park frame. So you cannot call it the initial rotor position. Nevertheless you are right, since this angle is a state variable you can set to it a non-zero initial value. And indeed it is like if the motor field is starting at this initial electric angle position. If you use this field like that, don't forget to report this initial angle to your motor controler.

Best regards,

Florent

Builder
Builder
Hi fpasteur,

Thanks again. I completely agree with you. It might not be accurate to call it the initial rotor position. In any case, it is the angle between d-axis of rotor and stator phase in DQ rotating frame. Amesim set this parameter to zero by default, which means the start position is the position where the rotor d-axis is aligned to phase A.

Kan

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Dear @kan,

If you question was answered, could you accept the reponse?

That way people if people have the same question, they know that they can find an answer here Smiley Happy

Br,

ElecKid.