Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Corporate server for same environment- Installation issue

Hello Team,

I'm trying to install 2 Corporate servers for same environment while installing second i am getting some issue,

Steps i have followed,

1) I have database server & instance on M/C XXXXC

2) TC_DATA & Volume for both the server should be on M/C XXXXD

2) I have installed first Corporate Server, Server Manager & Web Tier on M/C XXXXA by selecting option 

"Populate database and create new data directory"

3) Now while installing second corporate server on XXXXB, i have already database which is populated & data directory on XXXXD also exists, so i have selected option

"Use populated database and existing data directory"

4) But the installation failed and gave the message like below

Executing [cd /D "D:\splmlocal\int02\appl\tc112\logs"]
Output from command: cd /D "D:\splmlocal\int02\appl\tc112\logs"
command_exit=0
Exit Status 0, elapsed time 0:00:00
...Done

Executing [preferences_manager -u=infodba -p=***** -g=dba -mode=import -scope=SITE -preference=Mail_server_charset -values="windows-1252" -action=OVERRIDE]
Output from command: preferences_manager -u=infodba -p=***** -g=dba -mode=import -scope=SITE -preference=Mail_server_charset -values="windows-1252" -action=OVERRIDE

Command line login fail! Error code = 515209 (POM_rdbms_error)

The following error has been encountered: 515209 - The operation failed due to an unexpected Database Management System error.
The report file is located at "D:\splmlocal\int02\appl\tc112\logs\1805090745\preferences_manager_20185974731.log".
command_exit=1

5 REPLIES

Re: 2 Corporate server for same environment- Installation issue

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

M/C XXXXC > Database Instance

M/C XXXXD > TC_DATA, Volumes

M/C XXXXA > TC_ROOT, Server Manager (PoolA)

M/C XXXXB > TC_ROOT, Server Manager (PoolB)

M/C XXXXE > TC_ROOT(.Net only), Web Tier

The mistake is selection foundation instead of just selecting server manager. I would install foundation on D where TC_DATA lives. All template deployments or additions would happen on D from then on. Select only the server manager feature when installing A/B. Also, you'll likely want to move the Web Tier to its own server (see attached diagram).

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

@RandyEllsworth Thanks for the response,

But the main purpose of doing this is to have load balancing of the server,

The requirement is to have two corporate servers, don't know why they need it

M/C A --> Corporate server, .Net Server Manager, .Net Web Tier,FSC

M/C B --> Corporate server, .Net Server Manager, .Net Web Tier,FSC

Where M/C A & M/C B should have same port numbers for these services only hostname is different.

M/C D --> Should have TC_DATA & Volume for these both M/C's, Volume server is installed here with FSC.

I think it should be possible because they already have it for dev environment but I need configure it for int environment.

Solution Partner Phenom
That configuration is possible but is wasteful and introduces risk. For instance, what if someone deploys a template on B instead of A? How do you keep the two TC_ROOT's in sync? A lot of hassle for no benefit. Unless you can provide a compelling business case, I think you need to strongly caution them against this configuration and take another look at the diagram I provided in an earlier post which I can easily defend.

Why not have two TC_DATA's: one on A and B then D only has Volumes? Why not have two FMS Masters: one on A and B then D only has an FSC? Yes, all of these are valid configurations but they introduce risk/overhead and need a good ROI to offset the extra work. Understand the business reason(s) and provide solid guidance.

I will collect all the data why this is necessary, and may be will come with reason.

I agree with you and the diagram which you have provided in the same way i have configured till date.

The reason they want one TC_DATA directory for both installation because they are using same database instance,

if they use different data directory as well as database instance, then we can not call it as one environment it will become two different environments.

and i dont think TC_ROOT has any entries for deployments except BMIDE projects? so no question of sync?

regarding FSC, they will be having FMS Master only on A, and not on B (but both will have FSC ).

The diagram you shared is the load balancin using multiple Server Manager by having only one Corporate Server.

and what they proposing is load balancing using multiple Corporate Server.

I will check all the details and will share as well

Thanks!

Solution Partner Phenom
For your reading pleasure...

You can have multiple TC_DATA directories, one on each Server Manager, that point to the same DB instance. Best practice for this use-case is to pick one server for updating the data model using TEM and then sync (mirror) that TC_DATA to the other. This avoids issues with UNC or mapped drives being lost. But introduces another task (and point of failure) when making a deployment.

TC_ROOT contains the install directory which keeps track of your deployments and features. Depending on features there can be other files in TC_ROOT that are updated as well (bin, lib, etc).

If I were designing your landscape, I would put the FMS Master on the Volume server. I would also put the Corporate server there since it holds TC_DATA. This is also a good location to deploy single-instance services where only one can exist in an environment (e.g. Action/Subscription/Autonomy) thereby keeping A/B the same.

Welcome to architecting.