cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4-tier fcc.xml has wrong parent fsc server, but still works.How to stop?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi ,

I have 4-tier client installed in my machine. My pool manager and FSC are in same server. Unfortunately I mentioned different fsc server in fcc.xml.

When I tried to login to client, it allowed me to login and create files. But it should not happen since i am connecting to different FSC server.

What is the technique behind this?

How can I configure the client, "login should not happen if the FSC is wrong in fcc.xml"?

Thanks,

Ragothkumar R

4 REPLIES

Re: 4-tier fcc.xml has wrong parent fsc server, but still works.How to stop?

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do nor do I know the landscape of your environment.

Restricting FCC client connections to a specific FSC is possible by defining IP ranges in the FMS Master. This requires that your IT group maintain strict adherence to the use of subnets for clients at a given location. But what happens when users travel? DHCP assigns them an IP when they connect which is in the range for that location. Without this level of subnet and strict control of IP address ranges I don't know how your would accomplish what you desire.

You can also assign it in Organization but then you have to change it anytime the user travels. Unwieldy.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for the response Randy!

We have two environments.

1.PROD

2.TEST

We created a client package(pointing to test servers),which should be distributed to testers.

I installed the package in my machine and tried to login to Teamcenter. I was able to login. Thought the package is fine. But just wanted to check fcc.xml and client_specific.properties. 

client_specific.properties has test server data.

But FCC.xml has PROD FSC server data.

This is the scenario. Here I should not be able to login Teamcenter. But I am able to login.

How can I prevent this login if FSC data in fcc.xml is wrong?

Thanks,

Ragothkumar R

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
How would a Teamcenter Login know that the underlying data in fcc.xml is wrong and decide not to log in the user? I have no idea. Now if you were to ask me, "How can I ensure that the correct FCC is running for the environment that I'm logging into?" then I'd have a different answer. It's called adding multi-client support.

The startup files for TCCS/FCC are determined by the FMS_HOME setting. A user environment variable is created during the installation of Teamcenter (PROD) pointing to the tccs directory. Along comes the second installation (TEST) which sees that FMS_HOME is already set and skips it. So how will the startup of TEST ever launch the correct FCC? The answer lies in the Teamcenter startup script. By default, portal.bat[TEM] (otwportal.bat[OTW]) have:
"if not defined FMS_HOME set FMS_HOME..."
We know that the user has FMS_HOME set so the "if" statement prevents it from being set correctly. By removing the "if" statement, we force the correct setting of FMS_HOME in the script which overrides the user environment variable by:
"set FMS_HOME..."
Do this in the startup script for both environments and now FMS_HOME will be set correctly no matter which is started.

So what if the FCC is already running? A user starts PROD then logs out yet the FCC process will continue to run for 8 hours (just in case you want to log in again). However, we don't want the FCC PROD running when we start up TEST so we need to stop any running FCC so the correct FCC can be started. Again in portal.bat (or otwportal.bat) we need to add a line before the startup of Teamcenter (before :start_portal) to stop any running FCC:
%FMS_HOME%\bin\fccstat -stop

Now we have the FMS_HOME environment being set correctly for the environment being started and we've made sure that any running FCC is stopped.

There are other considerations beyond FCC in multi-client installations. For instance, for NX, the start_nxmanager.bat location is stored in the registry. To start the correct script we need to change the location, again in portal.bat (otwportal.bat) before the startup, add:
reg add HKCR\ugmportalfile\Shell\Open\command /d "%TPR%\start_nxmanager.bat" /f
(assumes users have admin rights or IT may need to open the key using GPO).

Other worthy goals include redirecting anything stored in the users profile like FCCCache or Teamcenter\RAC. For the cache I usually address this in the fccdefaults section of the FMS Master (FCC_CacheLocation, FCC_LogFile): Java understands $HOME and $USER so change it to C:/Temp/PROD/$USER/FCCCache and C:/Temp/PROD/$USER/fcc.log respectively.
In portal.bat you can specify the location of TcRAC stuff...
set CFG_OPTS=
set CFG_OPTS=%CFG_OPTS% -user C:\Temp\PROD\%USERNAME%
set CFG_OPTS=%CFG_OPTS% -data C:\Temp\PROD\%USERNAME%
set CFG_OPTS=%CFG_OPTS% -configuration C:\Temp\PROD\%USERNAME%

start Teamcenter.exe %* %CFG_OPTS% -vm ...

I think you get the picture now. To have multiple clients installed on the same machine you need to de-conflict those things related to the startup of FCC or other generic things stored in the users profile by default that should be made unique for the environment to prevent them from being overwritten.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Experimenter
Experimenter

Randy....thanks for the breif explanation!