Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About Preferences in Teamcenter

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Preferences in Teamcenter help you control some aspects of the behavior and appearance of Teamcenter. For example, you could use a preference to specify if an ID automatically assigned to an item in Teamcenter can be edited. Or, you could use a preference to enable viewing of PDF files through the Active Workspace universal viewer.

preferences.pngFor a detailed explanation of Teamcenter preferences and how they work, see Managing Preferences in the Teamcenter documentation (WebKey required).

To get a complete list of preferences shipped with Teamcenter, see the Administration Data Documentation report in the Teamcenter documentation. The report includes each preference’s definition, description, scope, and default values.

(The Preferences and Environment Variables Reference deliverable is obsolete and is no longer shipped with the Teamcenter documentation.)

To get the most accurate and up-to-date listing of preferences contained in your Teamcenter environment, you must create your own Administration Data Documentation report.

You could also create an XML file containing information about all preferences in your environment.

You could also view information about preferences through the Edit -> Options menu item in the Teamcenter rich client. In this method, you can search for preferences by name, description, or value. In the Administration Data Documentation report, you can search for preferences only by name.

The Teamcenter documentation provides detailed guidance on creating and editing preferences for your Teamcenter environment.

10 REPLIES

Re: About Preferences in Teamcenter

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Excellent. 

Unfortunately I cannot find any Active Workspace preferences in the Administration Data Documentation link that you shared. Do you know where to find a list of all AWC preferences? 

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Maybe we don't need an Installation Guide either since we have Deployment Center (snarky). What this means is that you cannot investigate preferences without having Teamcenter installed and some level of familiarity with the products (so long new users). I like to "look ahead" at preferences before upgrading which won't be possible anymore (so long old users). Feels like a regression and I can't say I'm happy about losing the reference.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

@OyKleppe, Active Workspace documentation remains separate from Teamcenter documentation. You may find AW 4.0 documentation at https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en/docs/aw/4.shtml. However, I find no single location listing all AW preferences. They all seem to be placed in-context within the various installation and configuration topics. As @RandyEllsworth noted, this can seem like a regression for those who are experienced. It has forced me to give-up browsing the documentation and become better with my search terms, which I suppose aligns with the AW client design philosophy...

Patrick (Pat) Kennedy, Sr. PLM Application Engineer, Acuity Solutions

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Randy

About the comment you made "What this means is that you cannot investigate preferences without having Teamcenter installed and some level of familiarity with the products (so long new users)."

You can preview all preferences without having to spend time installing the Teamcenter product. The Out of the Box preferences and other admin data are all published in the Administration Data Documenetation report. The report includes admin data such as Preferences, Access Manager Rules, Revision Rules, Style Sheets, Workflow, Subscriptions, Organization. 

There is are two OOTB reports available.

1) Admin Data Documentation report for Foundation

2) Admin Data Documentation report for Active Workspace

These are available the with the documentation downloads on GTAC.

With the reports, you can download them for Teamcenter 11.4 and beyond. 

So if you want to look ahead at the preferences that are available out of the box for Teamcenter 12.0, just download the documentation kit and look for the Administration Documentation Report. Same for Active Workspace.

Solution Partner Phenom

Thank you Bob. I may need a little more help finding the report in the collection as I'm not seeing it?

Tc12 PDF Collection.PNG

Siemens Experimenter

Randy, the Pubs kit has another package within it: tc12.0_en_US_tcrefs_webserver. It represents Developer References for Customization. The Administration Data Documentation report is in that package along with other customization docs like C++ API Reference and ITK Function Reference.

The direct link to Administration Data Documentation on Doc Center is https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/data_services/resources/tc/12/tcrefs/custom/en_US/AdminDataR....

Siemens Experimenter

Pat and @OyKleppe, Active Workspace preferences are available with the Administration Data Documentation report shipped with Active Workspace documentation. See Developer References.

The direct link to the report is https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/data_services/resources/aw/4.0/aw_refs_collection/custom/en_....

Solution Partner Phenom
@Fred_Menezes, Thank you for pointing us to the reports. The Administration Data Report in both the Teamcenter and Active Workspace collections appear to just be the report only (index.html). How do we get ahold of the data itself so that we can run an admin data compare report against our current data?

Siemens Experimenter
@RandyEllsworth, The documentation for comparing data reports can be found in the Managing Administration Data documentaion.

Following is the direct link to the 11.5 topic on Doc Center:
https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/tc/11.5/help#uid:xid1256816:index_managing_admin_data:x...