Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Active Workspace show structure root in Content tab

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Community,

I'm working on AW 4.1 and my PO gave me a task where I'm stretched to my limits.

Assume, you have Requirements structured like this:

Requirement Spec

- Paragraph

-- Requirement

-- Requirement

[...]

So a basic structure there.

If you open the Requirement Spec in AW, you have the content tab which shows you the underlying objects.

Now to my issue: The goal is to see either the Requirement Spec in its own content tab, so have the root in the structure. Or we change the stylesheet and add one tab, e.g. "Info", next to the content tab but there we want to show ALL the tabs inside of this tab, which are normaly part of the Summary stylesheet of the Requirement Spec.

The reason here is, that from my PO's perspective it's not quite intuitive that you have to deselect any child of the ReqSpec in the structure to see the information of the ReqSpec.

I hope, you understand my problem here, otherwise I might provide some screenshots of ideas.

Thanks in advance for any help/hint!

PMO

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Active Workspace show structure root in Content tab

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hi PMO,

Since it is a structure, maybe you can use Active Content to visualize the stylesheets of each item.
Configuration is a bit more extensive but you can open the ReqSpec in a Content Tab and depeding on what you have selected (parent or child in structure) the stylesheet exhibted will change accordingly.

Let me know if I was clear or not. Or maybe I misunderstood your problem.

Rui

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Rui,

thank you for your reply - I'm not sure either, if I understood your solution right.

To clarify my issue I prepared some screenshots.

I created a ReqSpec and added Paragraph and Req as children, super easy Requirements structure.

This is, what it looks like, when you open the ReqSpec:

You see the Overview of what you selected and you can see the Overview of the ReqSpec ONLY when you deselect everything on the left.

AW_Structure_OOTB.PNG

Or you see the ReqSpec, when you scroll up in the Documentation tab, even though the scroll bar doesn't look like there is something to scroll, see following screenshots:

Then you can select your ReqSpec in the Documentation tab and switch to Overview or any other tab and see information about the ReqSpec

AW_Structure_Documentation_1.PNGAW_Structure_Documentation_2.PNG

But what we really want is something like this:

We want to see the ReqSpec in the structure, this is better for the user, they can select it to see the Overview of the ReqSpec instead of deselecting everything else. And as we have custom properties on the ReqSpec, the users have the need to see the tab.

The second screenshot is in the end, what we want to have, I acchieved this by putting the spec in another spec and just merging screenshots, so we don't have a solution so far.

AW_Structure_PseudoParent.PNGAW_Structure_WhatWeWant.png

I hope, this helps to understand my problem here.

Thanks for any help!

Kind regards,

PMO

Hello,

Indeed now I understand your problem.

Yea, it appears the only way to get the overview of the parent in the structure is to deselect everything or navigate there from anotehr tab.

I am not sure if there is a setting where you can configure this but from what I see in the AW 4.2 this is working.
If this is something that was fixed from version to version, or if there is some configuration possible i do not know.

Here is a screenshot from 4.1:

4.1.png

Here is a screenshot from 4.2, where the top level is always showing!

4.2.PNG

Sorry I was not of help here, but if i find that this is indeed somthing that can be changed then I will let you know!

On a final note, what you can do to avoid users having to scroll down to find the parent on the documentation tab, is define two columns on the stylesheet by using <column width="50%">
This will split the screen into 2 collumns that take over 50% of the available space and you can display each boz next to each other.

Rui

Btw, although the parent is not showing left in the structure, users can probably navigate to it faster by just clicking the Parent String at the very Top of the screen, as per the screenshot:

Capture.PNG