Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Adding a remote volume server step by step.

Hi experts,

I have a remote office with two CAD users that I need to bring into Teamcenter.

The plan is to install a Teamcenter volume on their server and have them access the Production instance across the WAN. They will be storing all their data on the local volume, and I am planing on using store and forward... to get the data eventually to the main site.

Trouble is I haven't done this before, and due to restricted budget will only have minimal access to the folks at Siemens.

I know a few of you are expert  in the field and am wondering if someone would mind jotting down the step by step process. Also what files need to to be backed up before the actual deployment.

I know it shouldn't be too hard, but a nub mistake can take down a whole system Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance

ionman99

23 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author ionman99
‎10-05-2015 01:20 PM

Re: Adding a remote volume server step by step.

You didn't give me your Teamcenter version so I'll assume you are on Tc10.1 (minimum).

There are several things that need to be touched (so back them up first):

• On a remote server (local to the two people), install FSC.
  • At home, modify the FMS Master for a new group (group name could be the location name).
  • On the remote server, start the FSC. Resolve any startup issues before proceeding.
  • In the Rich Client, open Organization, add a Volume using the remote FSC.

At this point you should have a remote FSC and a directory for the volume at the remote site. Ensure that the FSC service is running as the same account running the main volume (home).

• The last thing to do is to assign the remote FSC as the user's default local volume.

Now that all the pieces are setup, you can run some tests on write and read performance.

To get the remote files back into the main volume, run the move_volume_files utility. Set it up as a scheduled task on your main server to run nightly (before your backups is ideal).

Warning! Your remote files will be at risk until they are moved to your main volume. Ensure that the remote server is backing them up until they get moved.

Best,

/Randy

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

[ Edited ]

Excellent

Exactly what I needed

Thanks ever so much Randy

& yes I am running TC 10.1.4

Will let you know how I get on. (Will be a few weeks time due to some telco issues with the bandwidth that are being sorted)

ionman99

[ Edited ]

Hi Randy

I'm just doing a dry run of the install and have come up with a couple of basic questions I hope you have time to address.

1. On the remote site; do I just install the Volume Server Solution from TEM. Or do I need to install the 4 tier client (for access to the database back at base/home)
  2. Is it ok to just accept all defaults for the FSC? or is there some majic that needs to happen in the Advanced... tab?
  3. The default FCS port 4544 is used at the main site, should I set it to a different port at the remote site? Or is it ok for both servers to use the same port number with different FSC names?
  4. I understand that the same user account needs the log on as service rights. The same user as back at base. Are local accounts ok? or should there be one domain account?
  5. Assuming that I install the 4 tier client, I take it that I will use the client to log onto the production data base once the config is completed at the base site. Is this a correct assumption?

I have taken screen shots of all options/settings and put them into a WORD document so I can refer to it later.

Looking forward to your reply.

ionman99

Additional guidance...

TEM:

• Don't check anything on Solutions > Next.
  • Features, expand Server Enhancements, expand File Management, check FMS Server Cache.

FSC:

• You can accept the defaults for FSC but adding relevance is preferred.
  • I like to change the name of the FSC to be more relevant. For instance, FSC_TCPD_PDX, would be an FSC for the Production environment in Portland, OR. While FSC_TCDV_PHX, would be an FSC for the Development enviornment in Phoenix, AZ. Changing the name helps me visually identify the purpose.
  • I like to keep 4544 reserved for a volume server and 4545...4550 reserved for cache servers. So I would install the FSC using 4544 since you plan to add a local volume to it. Otherwise I would use 4545.

Accounts:

• You can use a local account but a domain account is preferred.
  • A local account on server X is not the same as a local account on server Y even if they are named the same (GUIDs are different). This can lead to permission issues where files written locally can not be saved in volumes remotely (different users).
  • I like to use domain accounts only. The user is the same (GUID) no matter where it is run and will likely not have permission issues.

Client

• I don't know if you are using TEM or OTW to install your rich client. I'll assume you're using TEM since that's the easiest to configure.
  • You will still login to the home database (http://server:8080/tc).
  • You will use the new FSC as your parent FSC (priority 0) and the main FSC as a fallback (priority 1).

Keep me posted.

Best,

/Randy

Hey Randy,

I have a job open with my IT guys to add the domain user for the FSC service added to the new machine. Once they come back to me I will attemlt to get the remote FSC installed.

Your comments regarding using the same domain user accout for both FSC services sounds logical to me.

But if I have a local account running the service on the main server, can I simply change the service log-on over to the domain user?  If so, do I also change the ownership of all objects in my local volumes to the new domain user account? Is there an easy way to do this? or should I had it over to the IT group to handle?

Rrgards,

ion

After adding the service domain user you'll need to make sure that the volume ownership and permissions are changed also. Right-click the volume, Properties > Security, then add the domain user with Full Control, Advanced > Change Owner. After changing the ownership go back into Advanced > Change Permissions > Replace all child object permissions with ineritable permissions from this object.

To summarize:

• Add the domain user, Full Control
  • Change ownership
  • Change permissions, Replace all
  • Restart any serrvices, Review log

Note: this is the same procedure you follow after copying the volumes to a new location, like for cloning.

Best,

/Randy

HI Randy,

I now have a FSC up and running (as a domain user) on my remote Teamcenter server.

Gee telcos take forever to do anything Smiley Frustrated

I am just doing a dry run on setting up the new FSC group for the remote site.

There are a lot of options in this FSC area. I am assuming that I leave them all at default,

and simply add a new group... in my case MELB is the new group name.

Is this correct? I am questioning only because I cant see how the main server can resolve the name or IP on the remote server? I can ping the remote server with IP or name, is this enough? or have we missed a step?

Regards

ion

That sounds right. You may want to rename the default group to CORP while you're at it. That way both groups have meaningful names.

The key for validating name resolution is ping, if you can ping youself and the other server then you're golden.

For example let's say you had two servers: one called CORP; and the other called MELB. Remote login to CORP and ping CORP then ping MELB. Now remote login to MELB and ping MELB then ping CORP. You should see an IPv4 address XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX for all the responses and not an IPv6 address or ::1 (ipv6 equivalent to localhost). If you see a non-IPv4 address then you'll need to make changes to the adapter to prefer ipv4 (or disable IPv6).

Tip: Also make sure this adapter is first in the list since java is stupid.

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections\Advanced\Advanced Settings...

Randy,

Thanks for quick reply. But I was busy in the meantime and I added a new FSC server as well:

So now I have a FSC Group and a new FSC Server. See image: