Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Any best practices to control change of site preferences by multiple Admins?

Dear All,

This is something i wanted to post a long time back. We have different support teams L2, L3 who have DBA access to Teamcenter PROD to support and resolve user issues. Sometime it happens that site preferences are changed by one of these teams and its hard to figure out who changed it.

While we have tried to reduce the number of dba role access to L2 and L3 teams which has mitigated the issue, its still not fool proof.

So i wanted to start this discussion to see if there are any smarter ways to better control this preference modifications. I am sure many of you would be facing the same issue.

Also is there a feature in Teamcenter, which we can toggle that can prevent the change of preferences from the RAC portal? I feel this can limit to allow change of preferences only from backend if switched on.

Let me know your views and if there are any best practices followed.

Regards,

RS

9 REPLIES

Re: Any best practices to control change of site preferences by multiple Admins?

We don't allow changes to Production without a formal change request/approval. Everything must go through Dev/QA and get UAT signatures which are approved by a change board. Small changes are rolled into larger initiatives. No one has the rights to change Production without approval and rights are revoked for those who abuse the privilege.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Re: Any best practices to control change of site preferences by multiple Admins?

Randy,

Yes...that's the process we have as well, but at times it does happen that someone with dba priveleges logs in and unknowingly such instances do happen. So was wondering if there are an other alternate solutions. I am also thinking of a possibility and evaluate if a group can be defined that can be controlled with ACL...that does not have exactly a dba priveleges but a nothc less than that so that these kind of issues can be prevented...but this is something we are evaluating. 

If it happens again, and it sounds like it might, then you'll need to spend some time going through the system and application logs to identify the offender (in TC_DATA\log_<dbserver>_<dbinstance>\). You'll need to ensure that no one in L2/L3 has the infodba password which forces them to use their own login (recorded in logs). I've looked into creating a special account and limiting exposure with ACL's but it just gets too complicated. At some point you have to trust that they will do the right thing and follow procedure or pay the penalty. Some mistakes are normal so treat those as learning opportunities. No easy answer.

Thanks Randy for your inputs. You are definitely right....we got to keep going with the trust that everyone will stick to the rules for now :-).

Thanks again.

RS

One more suggestion.

Always advise your support teams to use preference_manager utility to update site/group/role preferences instead of the RAC options menu.

Mahendra

Hi,

We have also a similar problem with site-preferences, that they has been reseted or lost some times.
I have also found a lot of PRs on GTAC, e.g. 7783208

I think the problem is that dba users overwrites the preferences each other with following activities:
Register/update XMLRenderingStylesheets, edit CommandSuppression or set new Workflow Template Filters. All this activities sets preferences in the background.

What is the correct procedure for this activities? To work only with one dba?
But there are also following ootb dba users: infodba and dcproxy

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Michael

There is no good answer other than to make regular backups of the site preferences using preferences_manager. I have also experienced disappearing site preferences and only re-importing the site preferences from backup saved my bacon.

The site prefs xml is stored as a BLOB in the DB. Having multiple admin's write to the BLOB can result in the BLOB being emptied and effectively losing all the site prefs (Teamcenter no longer works when this happens).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_large_object

Hi Randy,

Many thanks for this info.
Is this problem solved in Teamcenter 11 or is it the same behavior?

Thanks,

The last time I experienced the event was Tc8.3 however everything is still in place for it to happen again. Thankfully multiple admins writing site preferences at the same time is a rare event.