Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any points to be considered for bulk loading into custom business object

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi.

In our current project, we are trying to use bulk loading utility to import data into custom business object.

The overview is that,

1. Create custom business object using BMIDE.

2. Create CSV file of data to be imported.

3. Convert CSV into XML using csv2xml utility.

4. Using bulk loading utility, import XML into Teamcenter.

We have verified that csv2xml utility and bulk loading utility for OOTB business object correctly worked.

In next coming phase, we will tackle the case of custom buiness object.

So, we want to ask you guys with marverous experiecne for any special difference from the case of OOTB business object like

・How to create CSV file including format

・Any special configuration for csv2xml utility

・Any special configuration for bulk loading utility

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Any points to be considered for bulk loading into custom business object

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Many post on csv2tcxml here. Search for csv2tcxml and you'll find some good conversations. But here is one to get you started. 

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Teamcenter-Administrators-Forum/csv2tcxml-TCXML-data...

Custom item types usually won't have anything different than the OOTB item types. There are special use cases to consider like Change Objects, dynamic LOV's, referencing other objects. It will all be a matter of figuring out your header for the csv files. Are you using MFK? That is the biggest thing right out of the gate. Then would be admin data (users, referenced objects) are loaded into TC before you can load your items that would use that information. If you have specific questions or troubles, just tag me in the post and I'll help you. I've been using the bulk loader since it was released.

Regards,

Jamie Griffis | Teamcenter Architect | Applied CAx, LLC

Jamie Griffis | PLM Solution Architect | Engineering USA

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you. You are big help!

Now I have some doubts.

When generating CSV file for custom objects that includes customer's unique attributes, what would be the format?

ex1. Case of standard Item

!Item:item_id|ItemRevision:item_revision_id|Item:object_name;ItemRevision:object_name|Item:object_desc;ItemRevision:object_desc|Item:object_type|owning_user|owning_group|creation_date|last_mod_date|CS1_AltPkg:fnd0InProcess;CS1_AltPkgRevision:fnd0InProcess

5000001|A|Assembly|My Assembly|CS1_AltPkg|usr1|dba|2011/02/03-04:05:06|2016/08/09|Y

ex2. Case of custom Item obeject including cutomer's unique attributes

I want to add the additional  ItemRevision attributes like the below other than the attributes of standard case.

|object name|plant code|series|person| 

How should we define the format of CSV file?

Gears Phenom

@naokishimoyama - the custom item has these properties, correct? You can verify your format if you review the csv2tcxml_column_names.txt file (or the csv2tcxml_all_attrs.txt). Find your Custom Item and review the properties. The format should be listed. Is the "person" you have shown tied to the person in TC or it is just an LOV? If it is the first then I have other details how you will need to populate that value.

bbs123.png

Jamie

Experimenter
Experimenter

Jamie san

I understand the solution.

My problem was how to identify custom object's attributesand its CSV format.

Now, let me confirm the procedure.

1. Deploy data model of custom object.
  2. Do csv2xml configuration and generate required 4 files.
  3. Find the custom object's attributes and its CSV format in csv2tcxml_column_names.txt.
  4. Based on 3, create CSV file for the custom object.

So far correct?

And to answer your question, "person" is not tied to the TC person. It comes from legacy system.

Gears Phenom

@naokishimoyama - Yes. Those steps are correct. Each time you change your data model, you need to regerate the csv2tcxml files because the files with the attributes don't automatically update. I keep the old ones for reference. Your header will have both OOTB and custom format because your custom object inherits some of it's properties from Item, Design, or whatever parent you added your custom object at. 

Jamie

Experimenter
Experimenter

I want to ask you one more thing.

We have imported Part object and Plant object using csv2xml utility.

As the next step, we are trying to have a relation between them.

We have already succeeded in importing the relation object.

But the problem is that...

When we open Teamcenter to confirm relation is there, we cannot see the imported relation from Part object side in relation browser and impact analysis as well. Whereas we can see it from the Plant obeject side in impact analysis and confirm the relation is surely there. 

What disables us to see the relation?

We need any special parameter during importing, or any other configuration on Richclient?

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

The relation must be listed in the DefaultChildProperties preference of the primary object for it to show in RAC - either in the My Teamcenter tree or in the Details view.

If it is a custom relation, there are other preferences needed as well.

Tricia Crichton | Software Architect | SEAL PLM, Inc

Experimenter
Experimenter

I was able to resolve the issue by doing your suggestion. Thank you so much.