Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Asynchronous processing of workflow tasks

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

I am trying to enable asynchronous processing of workflow tasks on our Test server.  I believe this will give me background processing of tasks as initiating a workflow can take several minutes.

We have enables async processing in TEM.

I have set the preference:

EPM_task_execution_mode = BACKGROUND

I have set the site SOA URL.

The asyncservice.bat file has had TC_ROOT & TC_DATA values set.

The translator.xml in Module\Conf has been changed to:

<AsyncService provider="SIEMENS" service="asyncservice" isactive="true">

When I initiate a workflow, the revision goes into process, but no tasks appear in my inbox.  Dispatcher has a translation request for the asyncservice, but it just sits there as “TRANSLATING” and doesn’t finish.  The output.txt file in the DC\result folder:

[Info] ConnectionException. Retrying 55 more times after 60 seconds.

etc etc.  So something can't connect.

What am I missing?!

Richard Bennett
Prospect PLM
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Asynchronous processing of workflow tasks

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Richard,

Have you set things up so your dispatcher OS user can run async_invoker with auto login, or tweaked the AsyncService.bat to provide credentials?

See Configure async_invoker service in the docs.

I take it you don't have SSO enabled?  If you do there there are some extra steps you need to do to setup a shared mediator password.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Jonathan,

Have you set things up so your dispatcher OS user can run async_invoker with auto login, or tweaked the AsyncService.bat to provide credentials?

No and no.  But, we have recently had Cortona/Rapid Author/CMS setup and this uses the asynch translator - and it works fine. :-(

Rich

Richard Bennett
Prospect PLM

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

This message

comes from async_invoker trying to connect via SOA to your Teamcenter server as the workflow user.

It looks like the auto login has worked.

If you check in the translation admin console and find the asyncservice request, then look at its properties, then the arguments you'll see entries like the following;

service:    Internal-Workflow-2013-05-Workflow
method:  performActionAsync
request:  <ns1:PerformActionAsyncInput ...
site: -1891560371
url: http://DevTc:7001/tc
user: jmorris

So the invoker in my case is trying to establish an SOA connection to http://DevTc:7001/tc and login as jmorris so it can execute the performActionAsync method of the workflow service.

I managed to reproduce your error, but only when I killed off my web tier, so communication to the SOA URL from the dispatcher module failed.

When I restarted the web tier it burst back into life.

So it looks like in your case there is some issue establishing the SOA connection.

I'd check the url in the request, which should be the SOA URL defined on the site, and make sure that the module is capable of resolving that URL.

Depending on what you have configured in your web tier you may be able to browse to <SOA URL>/services and get the list of supported services for the server.  If you don't then you might get a 404 if the server can be reached, and a different error if you can't.

Phenom
Phenom

After some digging thanks to your post @jonathan_morris , I restarted my server manager and it all started working...  It never occurred to me they would be linked.

Thank you!

Rich

Richard Bennett
Prospect PLM