Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic validation in Workflow that all PDFs were created by the dispatcher

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Good afternoon, I have a question, we generate PDF using the dispatcher, but the dispatcher needs time to generate the PDF, and I need to set the status to PDF after generating the PDF.
Is there any way to create an automatic check in Workflow that all PDFs were created by the dispatcher?

At the moment I am using the Validation Task and the Do Task, but in this case the user needs to manually check that the PDFs were created and complete the Do Task.

I tried to do the checks described in these topics:

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Teamcenter-Administrators-Forum/Status-flag-missing-...

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Teamcenter-Administrators-Forum/Delay-Teamcenter-sub...

But these methods cause the Teamcenter interface to freeze until the dispatcher completes the work.

Maybe someone has any ideas or suggestions how to make an automatic check in Workflow? I would like to use tools available from OOTB.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Automatic validation in Workflow that all PDFs were created by the dispatcher

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Arthur,

We too use Dispatcher to create PDFs and also DXFs.  We dont release these Datasets, but I can understand why Admins may want to.

I dont know how you could check that pdfs were created?  I have it setup to email if a PDF fails..

To automatically release PDFs though, using some OOTB methods, I think you could using windows Task Scheduler, have a task that uses query_xml with a pff to return unstatused pdfs, and then build a script that uses release_man? 

Or, if you had IPS you could use a Scheduled Task to launch a workflow that searched for released revisions with WIP pdfs and gather and release them.

Cheers,

Rich

Richard Bennett
PLM Consultant
www.ProspectPLM.co.uk

Re: Automatic validation in Workflow that all PDFs were created by the dispatcher

Gears Phenom

Good afternoon @ProspectPLM, we have the same setting to receive a notification by e-mail if the translation task started by the dispatcher ends with an error. Did you mean it?

At the moment my check is done like this:

WF_check.png

But it does not solve all my problems because I can check only all the ItemRevisions, but I need to check only those ItemRevisions that have the UGMASTER dataset.

I unfortunately do not have access to the ips_uploader utility.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Arthur,

I have configured the service.properties file located in the \DispatcherClient\conf folder:

Service.Email.AdminEmailId=myemailaddress.com

So when dispatcher fails to create a PDF or DXF I get an email.  I then investigate and put it right.

We only have 1 main workflow, and this checks properties, approvals, and then the last steps are to set the status and create a dispatcher request.  In this workflow I used to have checks for things that would cause Dispatcher to fail, and then either automatically fix it, or get the user to fix it.  This way I knew the data was robust to be sent to Dispatcher and it wouldn't fail.  I have been able to fix 99% of issues that would cause Dispatcher to fail so have removed the checks now.

I have another workflow that is titled "Create PDF and DXF".  So if users find a drawing that doesnt have a PDF/DXF, they submit it to this workflow to create one.

Regarding status of DXFs & PDFs...  I don't status them.  The only reason I can think you are statusing them is to prevent users from editing them?  If thats the case, then the only way they can edit them I think is by checking the dataset out and accessing the Named References.  If you dont need access to the Named References function, then you could suppress it using Command Suppression for all users, and maybe just allow a certain role to to have access to it for the odd occasion its needed (Group Admin, Manager etc).  An alternative method could be to prevent CICO of PDFs in the Access Manager Rule Tree.  I havent tested this, and it may throw up errors if you have implicit CICO enabled.

Rich

Richard Bennett
PLM Consultant
www.ProspectPLM.co.uk
Highlighted

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

I don't have a complete solution, but if I were in your place, i will looked on:

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/tc/12/help/#uid:ets_create_rqst

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/tc/12/help/#uid:xid1256816:index_utilities_reference:id...

and look on:

%TC_ROOT%/include/dispatcher/dispatcher_itk.h

Maybe need to develop a little bit customization for you purpose

so, and please to General query, try to set Type as DispatcherRequest 

All the best, Alexey.

Gears Phenom

Good afternoon, @ProspectPLM and @SedoykinAlexey. Thank you for the answers.

@ProspectPLM, we also have configured notifications for the dispatcher.

@SedoykinAlexey, thanks for the links. I'll think about it.

At the moment, I’ve stopped on a manual check using the Do Task, as described by in his presentation here:

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Teamcenter-Administrators-Forum/Run-external-command...

Solution Partner Honored Contributor Solution Partner Honored Contributor
Solution Partner Honored Contributor
If you have the money and don't want to support the custom code yourself then there are solutions provided by third parties. My favorite is from BCT Technologies (CheckIt) which behaves like NX CheckMate which is highly configurable and easy to add more checks. My catch-all for all translations, notifications, distribution and stamping is from SEAL Systems (DDP4TC, I have not used DOC4TC) but its expensive.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

We utilize the SIEMENS Add-On 'PLMEasy' to trigger the 'complete' status in the Dispatcher translation queue to proceed the workflow process.

Michael
Teamcenter UA | NX CAD

Gears Phenom

Good afternoon @Michael_Ruhnke this add-on from Siemens? If yes, then I wonder why Siemens does not include it in OOTB? Or is this solution from BCT Company? Where can I find more information about this add-on?

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Good evening @ArthurRM Yes, this is SIEMENS Software. SIEMENS PLMEasy Team in Germany. Current Version TC12.0.1. At that time developed by EDS approx. 2003.

All features of PLMEasy based on requirements during customer projects and ERs from customers in Germany over the Years.

Download the Software from GTAC teamcenter/full_products/Integrations_and_Solutions/PLM-Easy/plm-easy

PLMEasy license for each TC Author license from your Siemens Dealer. Support over GTAC.

BTW: Be sure you know the current TCRS Workflow Handler in TC Foundation. These Handler are the output of an approach of the PLMEasy team in 2006 to include their features in OOTB. First implementation called TC Express and the WKFL Handler called TCX. But it seems that the core team are not interested in these smart features. Today, PLMEasy Toolbox grows and is developed further, but these old TCRS Handler are only a tiny part of what PLMEasy can do today.

Unfortunately, I don't have a product presentation in English, but you may download the latest release and look at the English documentation:

TCPB_Abstract_V12_english.pdf
TCPB_Admin_V12_english.pdf
TCPB_Data_Import_V12_english.pdf
TCPB_Portal+Core_V12_english.pdf
TCPB_Workflow_V12_english.pdf

We sell this add-on to all our customers in DE, CH and AT. It is a must have - for both. The customers get the benefit of proven best-practices and they save money on quicker implementation by us - their partner.

Michael
Teamcenter UA | NX CAD