Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM edit without check out possible?

Genius
Genius

Hi people!

I have noticed something very strange and am not sure if this is a default setting or something is off in our TC.

Basicly, a user can open the BVR in Structure Manager, make changes and save it without the BVR ever being checked out.

Saving a structure from within NX if the BVR is not checked out is of course not possible (as it should be).

Does anyone know why is this possible and how to prevent it?

Teamcenter 11 (11.2.3.1)

4 REPLIES

Re: BOM edit without check out possible?

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
I think you are describing "implicit" checkout (default). You can configure "explicit" checkout by changing a few preferences. Training users to always checkout before editing can be a little painful.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Genius
Genius

We prefer a manual check out/in policy, it's a few more clicks but prevents users from accidentally making changes when having something opened for checking or comparison purposes.

I know about this setting, but this is not the case here... With an implicit checkout I would see that something is checked out when opened (the arrow icon), but in this case, it stays checked in (no arrow icon, check out function still available on right-click) and the BOM structure can be changed and saved.

This should normally not be possible, or am I mistaken?

Highlighted

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
You won't see the checkout until the user saves a modification (not just opening the BOM) then the checkout icon will disappear. This can happen quickly with BOMs and your rich client may not catch it. The pref setting forces the checkout and makes it obvious.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Phenom
Phenom

We have TC setup so users can modify a BOM without checking out.  

Users cant 'accidentally' make changes as they have to 'Save' the BOM to implement any changes.

And, it goes without saying that the BOM could only be modified if it was WIP (no status) anyway... (unless you have an ACL that allows this).

Making users Check-Out the BVR in order to make changes is another 'mouse click' that just annoys the users.  As an Admin its easy to say 'its just another mouse click', but for users these extra unneccesary mouse clicks add up and frustrates them.

A happy user is a happy Administrator :-)

Richard

Richard Bennett
PLM Consultant
www.ProspectPLM.co.uk