Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up a TC Volumes in windows

Pioneer
Pioneer

Our TC volume is on windows, we use a admin user ID tcadminprod to login to server,also we have local user infodba

now whoever did the first install are configured the TC services to run under two accounts, infodba for FMS and tcadminprod for TC Server manager

Capture1.PNG

when i zip the folders for backup i get a error just like

Capture2.PNG

Here is how the permission on the this part in windows, the ownership field is empty

Capture3.PNG

The only workaround i am now using is select the toplevel folder and go to security and give permission ot tcadminprod user for folder nad all its contents

any idea on how to untangle this permission issues, will be happy to give more info 

5 REPLIES

Re: Backing up a TC Volumes in windows

Phenom
Phenom

Good afternoon, read the excellent post from RandyEllsworth, I think this should help you.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Teamcenter-Administrators-Forum/Folder-Access-privil...

Also, do not forget that there is a backup_modes utility that manages volume modes.

Legend
Legend

The issue in ownership settings I think. OWNERSHIP - is the one of the main entry in windows secure serttings.

You can set needed ownership top folder and apply this to all objects on lowest levels

Creator
Creator
Hello

I think this is how the FMS works. The only user that have permissions on the volume is the FMS user. You can run the zip tool as user infodba, than the zip took shoud run correctly. The servermanager user has nothing to do with the fms permissions.

Greetings Jens

Creator
Creator

This will provide issue when several time and some time it can create major issue.

better option would be to keep one account for all teamcenter services and it should be same on all the servers

you can give complete access to any one account and use it permanently.

For now when you change any one account you may need to give permission to the account you are changin.

For example 

You have 2 account Acc1 and Acc2, Now you have decided to remove Acc2 and use only Acc1.

So when you remove Acc2 and run it using Acc1, then make sure you have given access to Acc1 account for all the folders which were running Acc2 

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

There is nothing wrong with using different accounts for FMS and server manager.  

Zipping the volume directory usually isn’t the best way to create a backup of a volume unless it is a small dev site or something along those lines.      You may want to take a look at robocopy or other Windows utilities that will allow you to do a delta copy of the files so that you can only grab new files each time instead of zipping everything in the directory every time.