Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best method to generate reports of real time or latest Teamcenter data

Experimenter
Experimenter

To provide real time visibility in to Teamcenter operations and data, what would be the best and quickest way to retrieve Item, ECO, Workflow and other bulk Teamcenter data, without effecting Teamcenter performance.

Few options that could be are  

1. ITK : As it would be slow and would impact performance too. Also, lot of customization is required.

2. SQL Query : Database SQL query is fastest and best but Not recommended by Siemens. Does OEM still use it? Any risks associated with it? 

3. SOA : Is it reall faster than ITK considering huge data is to be retrieved? This seems to be correct alternative of all ( and also suggested by Siemens i think ) but not sure is it really used?

4. Teamcenter Query [run using TC_ROOT\BIN\run_query  Utility] : Utility provided by Siemens but not sure if can we really used for data interoperability with other system?

5. PLMXML: May be good for BOM Reports but not sure about bulk Item and ECO objects

6. Cacheless Search - Yet to explore. Can we really use it for bulk objects?

7. Solution using Solr Indexer, which is used in Active Workspace.

8. Audit Manager: ? Can we in an easy way? OR

9. Teamcenter Reporting and Analytics. It would be a costly affair.

ITK and TCRA can not be used.Anything that can be alternative to these would be fine.

Output preferably should be csv/txt that can be consumed by other application, but no strict rules.

Best practices used by OEMs can be shared by experts on board.

Thanks in advance.

Akash V

2 REPLIES

Re: Best method to generate reports of real time or latest Teamcenter data

Genius
Genius

akash4plm wrote:

2. SQL Query : Database SQL query is fastest and best but Not recommended by Siemens. Does OEM still use it? Any risks associated with it? 

We use sql queries + Eclipse BIRT engine functionality to generate some big reports. For example, without BIRT+sql store procedures report generation time (with ITK or JAVA API) was about 1/2 day, not less.

With SQL - 1-1,5 hour

Also I think there is Oracle DB tuning (if oracle used)need to get more performance. Ideally,  having good hardware with fast RAID's, placing oracle data files to separate fast HDD's

Re: Best method to generate reports of real time or latest Teamcenter data

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I use ITK code. A scheduled task runs the ecoReport.exe every 10 minutes. I don't think it affects user performance in any measurable amount. Then it throws it in an mySQL database. Then a webpage shows it. Works pretty well but we don't have much data yet. Someday I'll rewrite the script to only run on ECOs that have been modified recently.

ITK was easier for me since I was able to reuse code since I already had a custom email handler.