Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice to load files into Teamcenter

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

I am looking for some best practice documentation or user experience on what are the best methodologies for loading files into Teamcenter?

The data preparation is well documented and well structured for Solid Edge files, but what is the process for, say, solidworks or inventor?

Is it best to just process a top level folder, or should files be added per project/assembly?

Should you load drafts after assemblies/parts?

How do you/can you bulk load pdf’s, dxf’s, etc and have them attach to an item – If so how?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Best practice to load files into Teamcenter

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
The import_file utility using an input file is very fast for non-CAD related files. The ps_upload utility using an input file is terrific for creating Items and structure as placeholders for the files. CAD files are where you will spend a ton of time and each CAD system seems to do it differently. They have internal relationships that make it nearly impossible to maintain the integrity without using the CAD tool itself. Personally, I like to employ the bottom up approach by loading all of my "leaf" parts first then 2 level assemblies then 3 level assy's, then 4, etc. People often quote the ETL approach but I feel they leave out the most important steps: Clean, Prepare, before Extract, Transform and Load.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Re: Best practice to load files into Teamcenter

Phenom
Phenom

I'm on a client site where they have been migrating SolidWorks from an old PDM system to TC.  Siemens provide tools to upload the data, but as @RandyEllsworth says, the data has to be clean first - crap out = crap in.

Luckily as the client was using a PDM system the the files were actually named correctly.  The filename was the item id.  Problems arise when the filename is 'bracket' and gets uploaded to TC.  If another file is named the same, the last file wins when downoading to the cache which is just a windows directory - as filenames have to be unique. So, you may have to rename all your files - this then causes obvious problems in CAD.

Then there is the issue of how old is your SW files... Every time an old version is opened in SW it takes time to convert it to the latest version.  If you have uploaded for example SW 2014 files, and are currenlty using SW 2019, then this files gets updated when its loaded into SW.  But, if its released in TC - then you cant save it back, so everytime its downloaded it has to be updated.  One solution is to use the SW API to open and save each file before its uplaoded to TC.

Configurations... ouch.  They need to be named correctly.  If not, program the API to sort them all out.

Regardng the non cad data there are several tools you can use.  I'm lucky in that my client purchased IPS from Siemens.  It creates items, updates properties, creates structures, creates forms, creates relations, uploads all non cad data (you have to use specific CAD upload tools to maintain CAD relationships), and does a lot more.

If you can, work bottom up.  Upload all parts with their associated drawings.  Then the lower level assemblies and work your way up.

Rich

Richard Bennett
Prospect PLM