cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of H2 database. Thou shall not install!

Teamcenter Server Manager (J2EE) Service started to fail on my machine. For some time I was unable to determine why Teamcenter was not allowing me to use the four tier solutions to connect to it (SOA fail during login). When this happens I normally force a AS7 cache resync by deleting the corresponding folder on temp folder, but it was not working this time... 

What had I done on the machine that was making teamcenter to go bogus? I just did not know. Finally I discovered it. It was the H2 engine database service I had recently installed that was taking port 8082 for its main purposes, which were way different than mine, just like when I am partying around!

So, in general, avoid using default software configurations that may use teamcenter ports, one of them is H2 database engine.

8 REPLIES

Re: Beware of H2 database. Thou shall not install!

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
The H2 Database Engine is integral to the Teamcenter Integration Framework (TcIF). It acts as the datastore and is the only supported DB for TcIF. A better recommendation is to be aware of the default ports used when installing software and change them when there is a conflict.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

That is right, TcIF uses H2 inernally. TcIF can be installed standalone if required, you need not install it on the same machine. Also there is a provision in TEM to change the default ports.

Best Regards

Projyal

Certainly, but internal H2 is launched with the default standard port. On next boot H2's service will most probably start before TC and block its ports. From that point on, TC's services goes down without notifying anything. Of course one should not install applications on ports that are being used by other instances, but I found that H2 is a fast candidate to make a Teamcenter installation to fail on next reboot.  

TcIF uses H2 as an embedded database. So in effect it is more like a sophisticated file access. H2 does not start as a service for TcIF, hence it would not block any port.

Best Regards

Projyal

Hello Projyal,

It is H2 who starts a service for itself when installed standalone and competes with TCs (TcIF) embedded database whose connections in mixedmode use the default H2 ports.

Hello Ramon_Talavera

I run TcIF and Teamcenter of a single machine (my laptop, to be precise). I do not face any port issue. I am running both OOTB versions. Are you trying to start H2 explicitly for other purposes or is TcIF causing the issue for you. If the latter is true we will need to investigate. Ideally this should not happen.

Best Regards

Projyal

Good morning Mr. Projyal,

I am running Teamcenter on a secondary machine where I usually perform coding. During my daily routine I installed H2 under MSWindows to make use of its web interface to inspect the tables of an unrelated to Teamcenter application. Teamcenter pooling service refused to start from the next boot, which was two days later. I took me a while to realise what changes I had done on the machine  and finally found on TCFsc logs that its internal port was being blocked by the new H2 service. Nothing of importance now that it is fixed, it just took my attention how easy it had been to make TC 4 Tier unstable by just installing another commonly used software. Obviously this would happen with any other software that used TCs ports, it is just that H2 default port is, at least from my point of view, heavily used in developers' machines. I was not reporting a bug, it was just an observation.

Have a great weekend Smiley Happy 

Thank you for the clarification. I was wondering if that is a bug. It would be particularly nasty one one, if it were one.

You have a great weekend too.

Best Regards

Projyal