Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bom explosion in Structure Manager is very slow 10.1

Experimenter
Experimenter

Dear all, 

I am bit fresh to this team centre world and we recently setup Teamcentre and going to handle soon the first project there in. 

While we see the complete structure in Structure Manger by Right Click => Expand Below 

it opens up the complete BOM structure for an assembly part. 

When we do so for big size assembly part , it takes huge amount of time and some times even freezes. 

When the local machine's resourse utilizations is seen, it is not at all over utilized. Even on server side no process is taking huge RAM. 

Kindly suggest on how we can sort this issue and improve the performanance. 

Kindest Regards 

Sachin Hingwe 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Bom explosion in Structure Manager is very slow 10.1

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@Tata-Sachin - BOM expansion in Sturcture Manager (in my experience) has always been slow. In your picture, it looks like you are using imprecise structure. Imprecise will take the longest to expand because it is resolving to the latest revision unless you are applying a different revision rule to the structure. Precise structure will expand the fastest. TC has to resolve all the bom lines to the revision and then all the properties to display for you. The bigger the structure, the longer it takes to expand. 

Jamie Griffis | PLM Solution Architect | Engineering USA

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Remember that Teamcenter is Java. And that Java VM uses its Heap to store objects in memory so the size of the JVM heap is important (-Xmx). In portal.bat, you can change the size by changing the VM_XMX value. Default is 1024m but for large assemblies I like to use 2048m. Not all workstations can support 2048m depending on system RAM and other running applications (especially Outlook, Visio, etc.).

Here's more about JVM's.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_virtual_machine

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius