Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Changing Ownership for Entire BOM or BOP Structure using Workflow

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello Everyone,

I am new to  TC workflow designer and I was trying to change the ownership fo the entire BOM structure inclusive of everything using a workflow. I have prepared one as shown below using a PS-attach-assembly-components and EPM-attach-related-objects handlers to gather the worflow and EPM-change-ownership to change the owner. When i create the workflow process for the BOM node, no change takes place.

Also, i was wondering when do we get the option to change the owner to whom i would like it to be chnaged. Is it done before creating the workflow process or is there a step i am missing? 

Thanks

1.PNG2.PNG

27 REPLIES 27

Re: Changing Ownership for Entire BOM or BOP Structure using Workflow

Phenom
Phenom

Do you get an error message?

You are changing ownership to the $RESPONSIBLE_PARTY which in this example is the person who initiates the workflow - you wont be given a choice of you want to own it.

It might be that the user doesnt have permission to change ownership.  Sit on the revision and look at the access:

Capture.JPG

If they dont have permision, then you will have to apply a workflow ACL that grants access:

Capture.JPG

Richard Bennett
Prospect PLM

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello Richard,

Thanks for the reply. I see that I dont have the permission to change ownership and when I try to open Access Manager( I beleive that is how you create an ACL from the guide i have seen) to create an ACL to add it to the workflow designer, i get the error shown below.

Pic.PNG  

Below is the error I get when I run the change ownership workflow process for the top node of the BOM structure.

Pic.PNG

Pioneer
Pioneer

I released that since i have created the workflow in infodba where i can actaully open the access manager, I believe that adding the ACl here would give the access right to whichever other user would try to change the ownership when he initates the workflow process on the node. 

But I am still unsure as to how to create an ACL, is it added into a seperate task before i start to attach all the objects or can it all be done in the same task in the workflow designer after creating one in the acess manager ?

Phenom
Phenom

No.....

Workflow ACLs are different.  There is a branch in the main rule tree (in Access Manager) called 'In Job'.  So when an object is a target of the workflow it reaches this branch 'In Job' and then Workflow ACLs takeover.

To create Worklflow ACLs:

1. Select the task you want the ACL to apply to

2. In the bottom right corner click the 'Display Task Attributes' button

3. In the Attributes dialogue click the 'Named ACL' button

4. In the Named ACL dialogue create a new ACL with accessor and rights

5. Click the 'Assign' button at the bottom of the dialogue and close both dialogues

6. Click the Display Task Handlers button next to the Task Attributes and you will see a handler EPM-set-rule-based protection with your ACL as the argument.  If you have other handlers applied on the Start make sure you re-order the EPM-set-rule-based-protection handler so its listed 1st as the workflow applies them in order.

Capture.JPG

Workflow ACLs persist for the duration of the workflow.  So, any permissions you grant will remain in place until another ACL tells the workflow otherwise.  So, what I do is on the task immediately after I set an ACL, I set another ACL which I call 'Default' and it just grants the owning user read access.

Hope this helps.

Rich

Richard Bennett
Prospect PLM

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation. It works now, however, I have a problem,  it works only for the last child node that is if i have hierarchy of 3 levels it works fine for the last level. But when I select the first node and apply the workflow process I get the same error as before which i have attached previously saying I dont have rights for the ACL. 

Below is how my workflow looks right now. 

Pic.PNG

Pic.PNG

Phenom
Phenom

I would put a 'Do Task' inbetween your 2 tasks so that the worklfow stops.  When the workflow stops take a look at your targets.  One of the targets is causing you issue.  

For example, who does your ACL grant access to? is it role in owning group?  maybe one of the targets doesnt belong to the group you are in....

Richard Bennett
Prospect PLM

Pioneer
Pioneer

The ACL grants access to the owning user and i tried creating a another structure to check it and it still works in the same way. Does have anything to do with attach the targets(PS-attach-assembly-components

Pic.PNG

Pioneer
Pioneer

The ACL grants access to the owning user and i tried creating a another structure to check it and it still works in the same way. Does have anything to do with attach the targets(PS-attach-assembly-components

Pic.PNG

Phenom
Phenom

Ok, the change ownnership ACL should be on the Change Ownership Task.  Remove it from the task gathering the children.  Test again and take a screenshot of the error.

Richard Bennett
Prospect PLM