Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Changing Ownership for Entire BOM or BOP Structure using Workflow

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Try arranging your Add Attachments task so that the EPM-set-rule-based-protection is on Start, and the PS-attach-assembly-components is on Complete.

Make sure that your ACL is granting change to whoever is running the workflow.

Pioneer
Pioneer

I tried it as you said and sending to an another user where the accessor was the system administrator and made the ACL changes as per that, but i still get the same error.

But I did try another way of changing the ownership where I add the change ownership handler to the Complete action of the Perform Signoffs subtask of the Review task and it works perfectly for the entire structure. But this is not what i am looking for though.  

Siemens Phenom

Hi Michael,

I created a workflow to mimic your example;

000230.jpg

On the Add Attachments task I set an ACL to grant Change access to the responsible party;

000231.jpg

And for handlers I have the following on Start (by assigning the ACL);

000232.jpg

Then the following 3 handlers on Complete to add the assembly children, their Items, and their BOMViews.

You will probably have different objects depending on your use case;

000233.jpg

000234.jpg

000235.jpg

Then on the Change Ownership task I set an ACL to grant Change Ownership to the responsible party.

000236.jpg

The the handlers on the task have the following on Start;

000237.jpg

Then the actual change of ownership on Complete;

000238.jpg

When I run this workflow on an assembly that is fully owned by a normal user (including children) then it works, and changes the ownership correctly on the specified objects.

If however the assembly (or I guess any of its children, or attached objects) is owned by infodba then I get the following error;

000239.jpg

This is because of the following entries in the Access Manager rule tree;

000240.jpg

This is explicitly denying Change and Change Ownership permission to general users (World) for objects that are owned by infodba.  These are considered system objects, and the rules are there for a good reason.

This is why you shouldn't have real product data owned by infodba.

So to end a fairly long post the workflow should work where objects are owned by a normal user, but if you have objects owned by infodba then you are probably going to have the sort of access problem you are seeing.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks a lot for the very detailed description and I understand the error, but i was wondering as to how it works when I use the workflow with the review task. Does it bypass the access when I assign the signoff user.

Siemens Phenom

There could be a few reasons depending on the exact setup.

When a user completes the review task the workflow is then running as that user, and the handlers will run with their privileges.  If this user has the necessary privileges to perform the action by virtue of who they are then they may complete without error.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Great, Thanks again.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

If you use the handler in a review task, the reviewer will be the new owner

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

To attach to the target you need to have change privileges. The Workflow ACL works only on the objects in the target. So you need to define the change privileges in the ruletree instead as a wfl ACL