Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chosing Right Microsoft SQL License.

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Hello ,

Two questions are coming about again SQL J . ı'm working an new project and as you know , generally , i don’t prefer to  provide the SQL License for the companies so i said that , you should provide SQL License to install or manage TC database. But , for new project , they want to me to provide SQL License .

As you know , SQL works as two different type and they are SQL Standard and SQL Enterprise. Also these two types are divided internally accoriding to the their licensing types. I think , i can suggest to company to SQL Standard.

SQL Standard is providing CAL License type and that licensing type is working related to number of users. The question is coming on that point , Do i have to buy license according to the number of TC user ? (Such as : The company has 64 TC users ) or Is it enough to buying a Microsoft SQL Standard License with CAL License for just one user.?

I couldn't find any inf. about it from the installation document or other sides.

Thanks a lot for answers and helps.

Best Regards

Gurkan

5 REPLIES

Re: Chosing Right Microsoft SQL License.

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Also ,

The other question is that , to use healty database we have to set some maintenace plan on SQL . I don't have so much experinces about SQL and i know just 3 maintenance task (i don't know it is right word sorry) they are ;

1-) Replace -Repair Task - It tydie up the tables , to reach information quickly.

2-) Database Backup - providing database backup

3-) Shrink - to create free space on Server

Do you suggest to me to additional maintanance tasks to keep database always healty ?

Thanks for helps.

Gurkan

Solution Partner Honored Contributor Solution Partner Honored Contributor
Solution Partner Honored Contributor
CAL's are usually computed against the number of processors and not the number of users. They could try rolling it out on a machine with 2 CPUs running 8 processors each (x16 CAL's). I would not buy MS SQL for a customer. Even Siemens tells them to purchase from the vendor (Microsoft). Are you bigger than Siemens?

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Solution Partner Honored Contributor Solution Partner Honored Contributor
Solution Partner Honored Contributor
Yes, get a DBA or stop selling/supporting MS SQL. It's complicated. Small changes can have a large effect on performance (good or bad).

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Don't use "Shrink". It hurts performance.

I regularly use the following maintenance tools (daily or weekly) depending on the need at the site:

1. Rebuild Index
  2. Update Statistics
  3. Clean up History
  4. Check DB Integrity
  5. Back up
  6. Cleanup

There are also a number of settings for optimal performance.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Legend
Legend

Hi

We have MS SQL Enterprise for our production and it works well but it's necessary to have the know-how how to setup the infrastructure correct with fast disk etc. 

I came across one thing with MS SQL Standard last week as we have that version as well. I use this database server for development databases.

When I should run the Teamcenter index_verify command and from the report update the index. I opened up the Management Studio and run the ALTER INDEX command that I got from the report there and got this reply:

Online index operations can only be performed in Enterprise edition of SQL Server.

So I recommend to have Enterprise version for production as the index on the tables in Teamcenter are many and you will not have time to do it manually.

When it comes to buy license for another company I do think you are on deep water if that company shall be compliant towards Microsoft. A review can hit them hard so let them buy the licenses.

Jörgen Mähler, PLM Lead Hydro
TC11.5 | TcIC11.5 | Swim 11.4 | Supplier Collaboration
NX 11,12 | Catia V5 | Solidworks 2018 | AutoCad2018