Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Classification: Items or Item Revisions?

Experimenter
Experimenter

I am implementing Classification at my company.  My original intent was to classify Item Revisions, however after some testing I have discovered that every revision is classified, resulting in duplicate items in the class.  For example, if I classified an item at rev A1 and I have one item in my class, when I revise to A2, there are now two items in my class. When I revise to A3, there is a 3rd item in my class.  I don't understand the purpose of having all revisions show in the class.  It looks like there are 3 results to a search when they are all the same item.

To solve this, I am considering classifying Items, but I've seen in some best practice presentations that Item Revisions should be classified.  Can anyone offer any guidance on the consequences of classifying an Item instead of an Item Revision? 

Thanks!

7 REPLIES

Re: Classification: Items or Item Revisions?

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Ultimately it boils down to what you want a classification to mean. What is the information a class and a classification conveys? What is the meaning of the data classified and what is its life cycle? Who are the users of that information?

Does classifying an Item mean all its class attributes and attribute values apply to all current, past, and future(!) Revisions of that Item? Does your process guarantee that?

If so, classify Items and you won't have to deal with managing changes in Revisions.

OTOH, you might want to have the option to have different classification attributes and values for different Revisions. After all, a new Revision might mean significant changes, calling for an addidional, different, classification.

If so, classify Revisions, but you will also need a more elaborate change management process to update the classifications if appropriate.

Another way to go about it is too look at it from the "consumer" side. Who is it that is looking through the classification strucure and what do they expect to find? If they expect Revisions but find Items, how will they decide which of the Revisions to use? If they find Revisions, do they need the option to look through the other available ones and choose?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you very much.  This gives me some things to think about.

Siemens Pioneer Siemens Pioneer
Siemens Pioneer

Very nicely explained to the point ::ThumbsUp::

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Keep in mind, what Active Workspace Client (if you have the plan to use it) works with ItemRevision in case if you create a new object from AWC (just, AWC, after created a new object, will show its revision)

And for organized works with Classification tree, you should to choose one or couple people who will be the response for Classification tree, and communication with them should be via workflow (as example, AddToClassification, DelFromClassification, UpdIntoClassification)

All the best, Alexey.

Siemens Pioneer Siemens Pioneer
Siemens Pioneer

Yes Alexey is right. But I can spill the beans if may be allowed. :-)

We are planning to support Item Classification is Active Workspace in AW4.2. So for now, take it as guidance that it is on the near future roadmap. Details of the platform version support etc are still tbd.

~Abhi

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hi!

You wrote:

When I revise to A3, there is a 3rd item in my class.  I don't understand the purpose of having all revisions show in the class.  It looks like there are 3 results to a search when they are all the same item.

One more remark related to this:

In RAC you can select in Classification a "Revision rule" for searching.

If you do this you will not see multiple instances of the same item in the search results.

Only the revisions that match to the selected revising rule will be found and displayed.

Hope this helps...

Markus

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you!  I knew there was something I was missing.