cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Item Links in Teamcenter Excel Dataset

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hallo Experts,

I have a bunch of Catalogs stored in Teamcenter in Folder Structures. Users are used to working with folders on the File System.

So idea is to have an Excel Sheet with all the Item ID same as in Folder Structure (all Catalogs with Folder Structure), Name and some more attributes (SAP ID...) with "Link" so that users can click the link and open the item in My Teamcenter with ease.

How do i configure the Items as Links in Excel? Any one with other ideas? Thanks

9 REPLIES

Re: Create Item Links in Teamcenter Excel Dataset

Phenom
Phenom

Probably this could help:

Right click on Item in RAC, select Copy and then paste in Notepad. You get the link to Item in this format:

http://serverhost:7001/tc/launchapp?-attach=true&-s=226TCSession&-o=wobZpAz8YCSPFAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

where -o=Item Uid  (the A's are normally appended, don't no why)

If you click the link, RAC is opened (takes existing session if already open) and the item is displayed.

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Unfortunately we are using RACless TC :-(

Genius
Genius

What do you mean with not using RAC, don't you use Rich Client for you users?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Sounds like they are launching a managed NX session w/o RAC (NX Manager).

Creator
Creator

I have tried the solution with copy the link into Notepad and launch it afterwards, but my browser try to open "launchapp" but are missing a tool for this. Can you tell me how I force it to open Teamcenter and launches the Item?

All inputs are welcome. 

Best regards

Palle

Genius
Genius

Hi

If you have no Rich client the url will not work for you. The url will show you the item it will not open it in NX.

Do you have a Rich client instalaltion or are you using only NX manager (NX in managed mode) to connect to Teamcenter?

Jörgen

Creator
Creator

Thanks for response. I do have a Rich client installation. 

Somehow the rich client is never launched, the browser ask if I want to open or save "launchapp". But I am not able to open it, because the file is an unknown file-type. 

/Palle

Phenom
Phenom

I have documented these steps for customers. These should be helpful.

Follow these steps to associate .ugs files to RAC (portal.bat)

1. Open any folder in windows explorer on client machine and select right mouse button – New – Text Document
  2. Rename the document by changing the extension from .txt to .ugs
  3. Right click on “New Text Document.ugs” and select Open with – Choose default program…
  4. In the “Open with” dialog, click Browse and select %TC_ROOT%\portal\portal.bat and make sure the toggle before “Always use the selected program to open this kind of file” is selected. Then click OK.
  5. “Windows Start – Control Panel – Default Programs – Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program”. .ugs extension should be in the list with portal.bat as default program set.

Creator
Creator

Thank you, it solved my problems :-)