Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Creating a test environment

Hello everybody,

I want to create a test environment just like my production environment. (To test the configuration and the upgrades)

My production environment is the following :

- 1 server to Teamcenter 10.1.5

- 1 server to Active Workspace 3.0

- 1 Server to the visualization Active Workspace server

All that 3 are virtual server (Hyper V)

I start creating the test environment by making clones of my servers. I know there are some reconfigurations to avoid the environments to communicate. But I'm a little unsure of the exact steps and that's why I'm writing this thread.

So I would like to have some guidances on the correct configuration steps to have a fully working test environment

Also I would like to know what I need to do on the TC client to directly have access to the 2 servers. I want to have access to the 2 configuration through the same client. But I had doubt because of the Windows environment variables (FMS_HOME .....)

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

Best regards,

Benjamin

2 REPLIES

Re: Creating a test environment

GTAC does have some guidance on cloning and you can call them to get their document. There are also several threads here on community that you can explore. Cloning is part of the "secret sauce" so getting detailed documents from us consultants probably isn't going to happen.
I wan't aware that the visualization server could be virtual? I was pretty sure that it needed a special graphics card?
Using a single client to access multiple environments is called "configurations". While configurations can save client disk space and are supported by Siemens they do come with some risk. For instance, during an upgrade. The server and the client must be using the same software. So if you upgrade the server "test" then upgrade the client to "test" then how do you access "production" on the client? Best practice is to keep the two installs separate.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Re: Creating a test environment

RandyEllsworth wrote:
I wan't aware that the visualization server could be virtual? I was pretty sure that it needed a special graphics card?

Hi Randy,

I don't know if this is an explicitly supported configuration by Siemens, but this is an example of how the nVidia gpus can be leveraged across the virtualization layer.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/grid-technology.html

I'd imagine this would work as the Vis VM could be assigned one of the GPUs from the vGPU manager. We currently aren't using Active Workspace, but we'll be digging into this much more when we get to TC11 next year. There is a lot of work around the visualization performance for VDI and a number CAx apps are becoming more "supported" in these environments.

Jeff