cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Action Handler to Populate NX Drawing Title Block

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi all!  I have been combing through the various Teamcenter sites and documentation looking for a good starting point to either use an existing action handler or how to go about creating a custom handler to run at the final step of our releasing workflows to take the applicable approver names and dates and add them to the UGPART dataset drawing title block, then save the drawing and create a PDF of all the drawing sheets after the save.  Any input would be greatly appreciated, as I need to get this into our development environment, tested, and rolled out to production in 8 days...

Thanks!

6 REPLIES

Re: Custom Action Handler to Populate NX Drawing Title Block

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

This can be done using mostly OOTB functionality by

1)  first creating attribute mapping between Tc and NX for those attributes.

2) Have the NX drawing title block populated with those mapped attributes.

3) Use WF handler 'RDV-generate-ugcgm-drawing' to generate related CGM files that you can then use handler 'EPM-run-external-command' to export them and use the command line NX plot utility, CGM2PDF, to convert them to PDF.

4) or instead of 3) you can use the "TSTK-CreateTranslationRequest" handler to spit out PDFs using a "-pdf" aurgument.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you Larry. I will check it out!!

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Larry, I must be missing something because your option 4) seems to leave out which Dispatcher service is being called by the translation request.  I'm only familiar with the previewservice translator service (that requires Lifecycle Visualization Convert and Print) and the pdfgenerator translator service (that requires Adobe LifeCycle PDF Generator ES).  Are there other OOTB options for PDF generation from CGM files (or NX .prt drawings)?

Thanks!

Patrick (Pat) Kennedy, Sr. PLM Application Engineer, Acuity Solutions

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

I think you can use the nxtocgmdirect translator with the "-pdf" switch. You'll need to modify the nxtocgmdirect.bat for 4tier settings (otherwise is 2tier only). See https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10.0.3/nx_help/#uid:xid642058

The nxtocgmdirect script leverages the export_ugdwgimages.exe which accepts "-pdf" to create a cgm AND a pdf. Or the "-no_cgm -pdf" switches to keep the pdf only and discard the cgm.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Randy, this is helpful. By the way, output from export_ugdwgimages.exe lists the no CGM option as -nocgm. Still, this info is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Patrick (Pat) Kennedy, Sr. PLM Application Engineer, Acuity Solutions

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

There sure are other (& cheaper) way to create PDF from NX out there.  I did a presentation on this topic several years ago at the PLM World annual conference.  Here is the link to it: http://www.plmworld.org/p/do/sd/topic=188&sid=678 .  It's outdated, but the concepts still apply with a few changes.  For example, I use the NX Plot command, cgm2pdf, nowadays instead of VVCP's prepare command because it works better.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,