Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Custom silent install and uninstall procedures

I have a custom silent distribution of Siemens PLM Teamcenter Rich Client 11.2.2

I understand that using:

tem.bat -s silent.xml

Is the command that will silently install a custom distribution of Teamcenter. I notice that this custom script installs Microsoft VC++ runtimes. The MS Office plugins are ok to install. By policy we are not allowed to install these VC++ runtimes plus our machines already have the latest version of this runtimes installed. How do I prevent/remove/strip these VC++ installs from the custom install script? Do I edit silent.xml? Where?… because I have already tired that and no luck. Where do I make these changes?

Also what is the silent uninstall command to completely remove Teamcenter? I notice that there is an uninstall.xml but not where to use that file.

10 REPLIES

Re: Custom silent install and uninstall procedures

You cannot remove the VC++ runtimes since they're a pre-requisite. You may need more args than just -s for the silent install to succeed. For instance, "-pass" since the app user password is no longer stored in the configuration.xml and "-jre" for specifying the location of java.

There is no uninstall command for Teamcenter. You need to physically remove the directories and registry entries yourself.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

In addition VC++ runtime files are not replaced by the next version and the applications build with VC++ are always depending on the correct version of them, so an application build with VC++ 2012 cannot use the runtime files of VC++ 2012 SP1.

If the correct version of the VC++ runtime files is already installed, then there will be none installed in addition.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

My machines meet the VC++ pre-requisites as they are apart of our core applications. By policy our Host Intrusion Prevention System blocks the VC++ installs which causes the TEM install to fail. I have a work around for this but I thought there would be a cleaner simpler way of doing this.

I reviewed the Teamcenter 11.2. Windows Client Installation PLM00012 11.2 on page 51 and 52. It describes how to turn features on or off for install by editing the silent.xml. Its not very detail and I had no luck editing the xml file.

Now for the silent uninstall…How could there not be one when you have a silent install command? From reading the log output uninstall.xml is load to perform the uninstall. I just don’t know the bat file or parameters to initiate this.

The installation of VC++ is controlled by TEM during the installation. You'll need to work directly with GTAC to modify the behavior of TEM. I'm pretty sure they'll tell you that it's working as designed and you'll need to modify the HIPS policy.

Uninstall will remove features/configurations but will not remove the installation (TEM) nor the registry entries. This is not an MSI. It simply runs TEM.

so what .bat file loades executes uninstall.xml?

The uninstall.xml is used by TEM.bat to remove features or the entire configuration. You can view the TC_ROOT\install\ziplist\*.txt files to correlate which features listed in uninstall.xml pertain to which files. For instance, uninstall.xml has content="265415652840148.txt" which is in the ziplist folder and opening the text file shows which files are affected in the installation. TEM will not remove itself.

Randy is correct in saying that the uninstall.xml file is only used by TEM to remove the client. However, you can also use it to automate the install using a script. This is especially useful if you have SCCM and your IT department can push it out to the clients to run automatically. Attached is a VBScript file that shows how it can be done. Change the file extension from ".txt" to ".vbs".

Arden Bedell | Teamcenter Wonk | Applied CAx, LLC

Hi
Thx Arden! Works perfect to uninstall the 4 tier Rich client!
/Jörgen

Could you describe changing this to an install rather than uninstall? Thanks