cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customization : Custom Function Stack for code foot print analysis

Experimenter
Experimenter

To correctly analyze the regression testing requirements, we are planning to establish a mechanism to determine the code footprint of a particular custom functionality. Idea is to get a a list of all custom functions being called whenever a functionality is used from the client. I am looking for an easy way to get this custom function stack for a particular functionality/test scenario dumped in log file to establish the code footprint base.

4 REPLIES

Re: Customization : Custom Function Stack for code foot print analysis

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

There are several ways to accomplish this. Here are a few from the easiest to the hardest:

1. Add a "Entering <function name>"/"Leaving <function name>" to each of your custom functions so that the entry is written to the syslog.
  2. Create a macro that performs the Entering/Leaving write to the syslog and then wrap your custom functions in it.
  3. Turn on full journaling and spend days going through the logs.

Best,

/Randy

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks Randy,

Actually I was looking for an alternate to option 1 & 2 that you outlined. Considering the size of the code base, this will be a considerable effort. Is there any way ? Any setting in Visual Studio , any third party library OR any core c/c++ way..

Genius
Genius

I haven't used it, but I see lot of discussion about StackWalker class (open source)

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/11132/Walking-the-callstack

---

Thanks and Regards

Yogesh Fegade

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks Yogesh. I will explore this further.