cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Migration with PLM XML Export/Import

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello all,

I need a suggestion before using PLMXML Export/Import to migrate data from TC9.1 to TC11.2. Can i define a closure rule and property set to get the related data from one Teamcenter version to other. The Item ID must be dynamically given while import, as we are merging 2 different systems. 

It would be of great help if some one could tell me or let me know if this kind is possible.

Regards,

Chene

7 REPLIES

Re: Data Migration with PLM XML Export/Import

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

I believe PLMXML was designed for exchanging data between similar systems (same schema). If you want to migrate between dissimilar system then you'll need something like Classic Multisite (CMS), Global Multisite (GMS) or Site Consolidation (SITCON). These applications allow different schemas to talk to each other by mapping their differences. The newest tool in this realm is the Teamcenter Integration Framework (TcIF) which is replacing CMS/GMS. The oldest tool is IPS_Upload which may help with your automatic renumbering of imported data. All of these tools have a cost so plan carefully.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Randy,

Thanks a lot for reply.

I was wondering if i can use PLMXML Export/Import to take data from TC9.1 abcSystem to xyzSystem. Is this possible. 

If it is possible how to do it using transfer modes and how should be closure rules defined.

Regards

Chene

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Good question. Frankly, I don't know. The two data models are different enough that you may have issues and I don't use PLMXML on a regular basis. Maybe someone else has tried this and can provide you with more relevant feedback on its success.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

PLMXML is the closest to a canonical format that we have. So it can be used for data exchange with different data models. Closure rules and transfer option sets are meant to filter data out, so yes you can use it. Also at the importing side you will have to ensure you are mapping the attributes correctly using the PLMXML SDK.

Being canonical it will be slower than other options. If you are looking for a single time data transfer this is suitable. Co-existence will require GMS described below.

GMS is a solution that can be used but you need to ensure you can map the correct data. GMS is available on both Global Services and TcIF. If you are using versions newer than 10.1.4 you can use TcIF.

TIE/TCXML, Briefcase or multisite on the other hand is not suitable for this kind of exchange though we support two release compatibility you do not have lot of options to map data from one format to another. These work on the lowest common denominator.

Site consolidation is another option that can be used. But Site consolidation needs both databases at the same level. So you need to upgrade one site.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Projyal,

I am looking for one time transfer of data where i have two systems on same stand with regard to PLMXML SDK. As its only single time data transfer who could i do it. When i want every attribute without defining any closure rule as it going to filter out data.

Please suggest.

Regards,

Chene

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hi Chene

Before I respond with one option or the other, please let me know the following:

A. Are the data models vastly different or there are onlt additions in the upgraded site?

B. How much data do you want to migrate?

C. How much time do you have?

D. Is this a phased approach or you plan to do "big-bang" over the weekend or so?

Best Regards

Projyal

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi

For the questions:

A. Are the data models vastly different or there are onlt additions in the upgraded site?

We had a 2 systems one which was Development and other Productive. In productive there are 3 Attributes more than what we have in development system.

B. How much data do you want to migrate?

Around 100 Items

C. How much time do you have?

1 week

D. Is this a phased approach or you plan to do "big-bang" over the weekend or so?

An approach so that we could achieve it with OOTB teamcenter functionalities.

Regards,

Chene