Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Define UGPART as seed part

Builder
Builder

Hello, everyone,

Is it possible to use UGPART only under an item revision as a seed part? So we manage part and drawing with different item type. Currently, they both have UGMASTER under the seed items. 

Now, we want to keep UGMASTER for the part item, and put UGPART only under the drawing seed item. So in the future, when creating new part item, there will be a UGMASTER dataset. When creating new drawing item, there will be UGPART dataset only. 

What I did: 

1. create a drawing item, add a UGPART dataset, upload the file and open in NX integration and save it back.

2. modified my PAX file. 

<PaletteEntry id="d3">
    <References/>
    <Presentation name="UG PART Drawing A0" description="UGPART A0 DRAWING TEMPLATE" >
        <PreviewImage type="UGPart" location="@DB/DT00000070/001"/>
    </Presentation>
    <ObjectData class="DrawingTemplate">
	<TemplateFileType>none</TemplateFileType>
        <Filename>@DB/DT00000070/001</Filename>	
	    <Units>Metric</Units>
		<UsesMasterModel>No</UsesMasterModel>
        <ItemType>Rz5_DRAWING</ItemType>
        <RelationType>master</RelationType>
    </ObjectData>
  </PaletteEntry>

3. try to create new in NX, I got this error.

Capture.PNG  Any idea?

Is it possible to use UGPART as seed part/start model? 

If yes, I really appreciate some step to implement this

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Define UGPART as seed part

Solution Partner Honored Contributor Solution Partner Honored Contributor
Solution Partner Honored Contributor
What you state is not possible. Tc requires that a single NX dataset under the Item Revision be a UGMASTER. If there is already a UGMASTER then you can add UGPART(s) and UGALTREP(s). You are using method three in the Master Model concept with a unique IR for model and drawing meaning that the model IR has a UGMASTER and the drawing IR has a UGMASTER. This is how the software was designed and cannot be changed without breaking something.

The three methods for Master Model are...
1. The Item Revision has a UGMASTER that holds both the model and drawing.
2. The Item Revision has a UGMASTER for the model and a UGPART for the drawing.
3. The Item Revision has a UGMASTER for the model and a separate Item Revision has a UGMASTER for the drawing.

Those are the only methods for Master Model that I'm aware of.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Solution Partner Builder Solution Partner Builder
Solution Partner Builder

Hi @RandyEllsworth

What method do you recomend?

Today I've been using the second method, but I really thinking about first method. I've been planning that because when you create part families the drawing is in UGPART does not publicated automatically because the family is in UGMASTER. But I don't know what kind limitations we could have.

Bauler

NX 12.0.1 | TC 11.4

Solution Partner Honored Contributor Solution Partner Honored Contributor
Solution Partner Honored Contributor
The method used is totally dependent on how the customer does business. The first is the simplest but doesn't allow multiple people to work at the same time. The second, my favorite, provides separation which allows the model and drawing to be worked on at the same time yet still contains the whole product definition in under one revision. The third, used by most in the aerospace industry, allows the model and drawing to have differing life cycles.

You would normally create only one drawing for a part family that has variables for dimensions and the chart that assigns part numbers and values for the variables in the model. You don't want each member in the family to have their own drawings so having them separate, as you do today, shouldn't be a problem?

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4