Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deployment UNC path

Builder
Builder

Hello

I want to deploy Tc with TC_ROOT on an UNC path like attached image. I have 2 question here:

1.When installing a new TC server foundation the TC_ROOT path must not exist therefore what would happen if I want to install a new server foundation with the the UNC path already exicting?

2.Technically what is the idea behind using a UNC path for TC_ROOT? (I know that TC_DATA must be shared but don't know how a shred TC_ROOT can help except security subject.)

BR.

20 REPLIES

Re: Deployment UNC path

Solution Partner Honored Contributor Solution Partner Honored Contributor
Solution Partner Honored Contributor
I'm not sure why you would want to install TC_ROOT using a UNC path. Each server installation records its features and software in TC_ROOT. So TC_ROOT should be unique for each server (and environment). Sharing TC_DATA (read) is normal but sharing TC_ROOT is not normal.

1. Your install will fail.
2. Do not use a UNC path with TC_ROOT. That is an unusual requirement and careful consideration of the ramifications and limitations of this is needed. Not recommended without extensive knowledge of how to manage this deployment scenario.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Builder
Builder

Thanks Randy;

In deployment img which is attached I see that TC_ROOT is on a UNC path in resource tier and  tc server is installed in enterprise tier, wrong? So as of your good explanation maybe it is unique for pool of servers?!

You are reading the image wrong. It shows where you have server extensions for active workspace not declaring a UNC path for TC_ROOT? TC_DATA talks to the Database (resource tier) and TC_ROOT\FSC (FMS Master) talks to the volumes (resource tier). Server Manager (Pool Manager) sources TC_DATA when creating the tcservers to talk to the database. Hope that clears things up.

Builder
Builder

Thanks Randy for your explanation;

Just something you point that pool manger sources TC_Data to communicate with DB, what about TC_ROOT ? It must contains TC_ROOT to talks with volumes, true?

So for pool manager I must only select the foundation, server manger, FMS server cache in feature window as minimum to be installed on a machine, it is how I understood!

Phenom
Phenom

Good afternoon, apparently so coincided, I just recently read about the alternative installation of Rich Client and there it is described that it can be done:

Install the rich client for shared disk deployment
https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/tc/11.2.3/help#uid:xid1256814:index_client_win:cwebclie...

But this does not really have to do with your image. I agree with , on your image there is nothing about the UNC path.

Builder
Builder

Hello Arthur and good afternoon;

you and Randy are right that image won't shoe UNC path. I just guess that it might be a UNC as the other circle which I showed(pool manager) are installed separately(I considered each block as a sparate machine).!!!

When sourcing, a Teamcenter application will set the locally installed TC_ROOT (each server with Tc stuff has one), will set TC_DATA (which there is only one), will call TC_DATA\tc_profilevars.bat for the data base connection and other settings. I think the important thing is that there are multiple TC_ROOT directories which may not be clear but a single TC_DATA which is why most companies share that folder.

Your comment about Foundation and Server Manager are correct. Every Server Manager requires a Transient Volume which will happen automatically during the TEM install. You will get a number of other things with Foundation like an FSC service for the FMS Master. Only put Foundation on one server, to start with, as it will be your central point for running TEM to update the data model (and your custom template).

Builder
Builder

@RandyEllsworth

Thanks for your help.

I tried to figure out the things and with your help it is very clear now. Just I was looking at TcUA again and I think there is one more thing not solved yet. If you look at image in attach it seems there are 2 communication line between webapp tier and enterprise tier, 1 black and 1 in red, I guess the red ones is 17800 and 17810 ports!!? but I couldn't relate anything to black ones(question marks shown in image). May you please explain this a bit more?

Or maybe 1color is 17800 and the other is 17810 for ex?(I'm just thinking out loud:))

BR.

Builder
Builder

@ArthurRM

I also read about shared disk deployment before and I guess it must be very helpful in large enterprises as you dont need to install rich client on each machine. Have you tried this deployment? what is the benefits in your perspective?

I think the only requirment is a good network bandwich.

BR.