Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distinguish assembly from weldment assembly in Teamcenter

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

We use Solid Edge with Teamcenter.

Is there a Teamcenter property that distinguishes a generic SE assembly from a (inseparable) SE weldment assembly?

The reason for this question is BOM management down stream in Teamcenter and ERP.

Knowing which item is inseperable makes automated translation of the structure possible.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Distinguish assembly from weldment assembly in Teamcenter

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@rda - What version of SE & TC are you using? My answer is no, not OOTB that I know of. You can add a property to define the assembly in TC as a weldment. Our solution was part of our part numbering. The weldment assembly was 1234596. For each piece part we added a -1, -2, -3, etc to the part number, so 1234596-1, 1234596-2, etc. That defined it as pieces of the weldment assembly and the dashed numbers never went to ERP. 

Jamie

Jamie Griffis | Teamcenter Architect | Applied CAx, LLC

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @Jamie_Griffis,

That's a pitty, it's important information for evaluating the structure, would be nice if that information was cummunicated with Teamcenter. Don't like coding logic into id's, but an extra property would also allow communication the this information, was hoping this customization was not neccesary.

We use SE ST9 and TC 11.3 (planning for ST10 and TC 11.5).

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@rda - Think of it from the unmanaged SE aspect. Is there anything in the file defining it as an assembly vs a weldment? Not that I know of. So if SE isn't defining it how is TC going to be able to figure it out? Maybe call Gtac and see if there is something in the file that is defining it and if it is exposed to TC. Or you could try to read the assembly overrides (assembly features) but I've never tried this and I don't know if they are defined by adding material vs removing material. The property is the easiest way I think you can resolve it quickly.

Good luck!
Jamie

Jamie Griffis | Teamcenter Architect | Applied CAx, LLC

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'm pretty certain file does contain this information because the SE Icon in the PathFinder is different for a Weldment. It's just not exposed trough a simple file property.

Although there is a "Weld Bead Density" property created for Weldment assemblies, I don't think this is a clean approach for identifying a weldment.

But okay, I'm now pretty certain there is no out of the box property in TC, so If we need this bad enough will have to use a suitable workaround. Probably contact our supplier for this before that.

Thanks again.