Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing dataset won't expand in Teamcenter RAC

Pioneer
Pioneer

I'm adding users to a newly configured Teamcenter 11.4 environment, and am having a strange issue...when my first user on the system goes to expand a Drawing dataset from his Home folder, Newstuff folder, search results, etc. he cannot. The arrow beside the Drawing Item level does not exist. He can only see the Drawing Revision and any underlying datasets if he opens the Drawing Item in its own tab by double-clicking on it, at which point the Drawing Rev & data is viewable.

I've been working with GTAC and was first troubleshooting this as a Site/User preferences issue, but I've already tried everything they've recommended (preferences_manager to clear User-level preferences, etc.) and nothing has altered the behavior.

I can login to his machine with my user account and the issue goes away; I can log into MY machine with his user account and the issue is present...but I can't for the life of me figure out where the configuration was made that is manifesting in this behavior. I'd rather not add any additional users to Teamcenter until I resolve the problem, to avoid redundant effort to clean up all accounts if this is a persistent problem. Screenshots attached; has anyone encountered this?

12 REPLIES

Re: Drawing dataset won't expand in Teamcenter RAC

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

It looks like your user doesn't have revisions in the show relations list for your object type.

Note that this may not have been set specifically for the user; it may be set higher up in the organization structure such as Group.

Check what their settings show for your Drawing Item type.  Here are mine for Document;

000191.jpg

If you can't see Revisions then I'd go to the Organization tab and find out where the <type>_DefaultChildProperties preference has been set.

Pioneer
Pioneer

@jonathan_morris, thanks for the advice; unfortunately this doesn't appear to be my problem. My settings appear to match yours, at least as far as the General-Item-Revisions setting goes.

I checked under Search -> preferences as well, to see if the Site settings listed lined up with what the General->options tab is showing. I believe structure_revisions is the "Real" property name for Revisions...is that what you're seeing in your environment?

Item_display revisions.jpg

Siemens Legend

I think in your second screenshot you are looking at the setting for a Revision rather than the Item.

If you look in the Item_DefaultChildProperties the value you are looking for is revision_list.

structure_revisions on an Item Revision gives you the associated BOM View Revisions.

It's worth a quick look at the organization tab in options, find the user in their group, then check for settings at each level.

Pioneer
Pioneer

That did it! You're the man @jonathan_morris.

One thing I've noticed over the course of administering site preferences that's a good takeaway for me...I defined a few BMIDE custom objects, based on OOTB Teamcenter Drawing and Part dataset types. It seems like for the most part, the OOTB Preferences associated with the OOTB Drawing and Part Types did not get copied over to my custom Types...I'm going to have to do some pretty tedius/manual preference configuration (or at least much more manual checking and preference reconciliation).

In any case, this solves my immediate issue, many thanks!

Highlighted

Siemens Legend

Glad to help.

For the deployments I've been involved with we manage the build artefacts in a version control system, including site preferences.

For the preferences we manage the preference_manager xml files which lets us put some of the related preferences together, for example for each object type we have xxx_DefaultChildProperties, xxx_shown_relations, and xxx_PseudoFolder together.

The xml is loaded through preferences_manager when we deploy.

That way it's easy to ensure the changes are consistent, and reproducable between dev, test, pre-prod and prod.

Pioneer
Pioneer

That makes sense @jonathan_morris, I'll give the preference_manager utility a try to copy the preferences I've got set on the item types that I know to be working properly.

Unfortunately we aren't using a version control system outside of the backups manager included in BMIDE, but now that I understand the hassle that mismatched preferences can cause I'll do a better job of maintaining them between my test and prod environments via the preference_manager.

Creator
Creator

I just wonder why bmide deploy of the new item types does not have a script to define the xxx_DefaultChildProperties, xxx_shown_relations, and xxx_PseudoFolder in the site settings?  Seems like bmide should be udpated this way.

Siemens Legend

You can add calls to preferences_manager and other utilities are part of the install scripts in your template, but you still need to maintain the file yourself.  Search for "installation file description" in the BMIDE Guide.

It would be nice if there was a wizard for a new Item that built at least an outline of the preferences, stylesheets etc that are usually required in addition to the core data model work.  Unfortunately there isn't so we need to fall back on experience and check lists.

Pioneer
Pioneer

I definitely need to research that before doing any more significant data model development...after I identified the root cause of the issue, it was sort of a toss-up between using the preferences_manager and just manually building the preferences. I ended up making a checklist for each preference on each item, and (tediously) going through and setting them all to behave as I'd intended.

I considered the preferences_manager route, but wasn't confident I could pull it off without breaking something even worse...I was also coordinating with GTAC, and the tech support representative agreed; I guess he'd had a bad experience feeding preferences_manager some bad directions, thereby cratering his Teamcenter installation.

@jonathan_morris, are you aware of any Siemens training that addresses this type of activity? I was planning on attending their Data Model Development and Teamcenter Administration courses in the next several months, but wasn't sure if utilities like this would be covered.