Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enter db_part_no manually?

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

A topic of discussion that came up last night, based on how a past employer worked with NX and Tc, vs. what was recently told to a new customer...

If a company wanted to maintain a spreadsheet of part numbers, and NOT use the auto generating feature in Teamcenter, what would they have to toggle off?  Basically upon ITEM creation, the user would manually enter a value for db_part_no (at a former job, we worked this way).  I suspect this in in BMIDE, but I'm not familiar with that.

FYI:  @alpinashark

-Dave
NX 11 testing NX1847+ | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Enter db_part_no manually?

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Naming Rule applied to your Item type (default is Item).

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Creator
Creator
I feel the OP is looking for a naming rule item ids that would never be generated by TC rich client. A list of ids designated only to be assigned for these parts.
May be we should calculate the average number of items that would be created over few years in his site and use the ids beyond that.?

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

What I'm looking for, to be a bit more clear, is instead of Teamcenter generating 123456 for db_part_no, the user would manually enter a value for db_part_no.  The manually entered value could be 123456, or BOB, etc.   Tc should know that if a second user enters BOB, to not allow it.

This would allow the users company, to have smart, or intelligent part numbers, maintained in a legacy spreadsheet, or other means, and not have to change their entire part numbering system, just because they are moving to Teamcenter.  I know Intelligent part numbers can be done in NX/Tc now, but that also requires manpower to setup and maintain, which may not be availalbe.

-Dave
NX 11 testing NX1847+ | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10