Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel performance with TC Add-in

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

We are having a strange issue in our organization.

We have installed the Teamcenter Client for Office. If the user has internet access, the opening times of an Excel file with the Teamcenter add-in enabled both from Windows as from Teamcenter are relatively goods (between 30-15 seconds).

The problem is when the user has not internet access, with this I mean that, due to company internal policies, the user is connected to the network but he has not authenticated himself to get internet access, in this case the opening times of the Excel files with the TC Add-in enabled are really slow, in some cases exceed the 2-3 minutes, which makes very difficult to work with the TC-Office integration.

If you disable the Tc Add-in or are working offline, the Excel works fine.

Can anyone help us with this issue?

Thanks in advanced

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Excel performance with TC Add-in

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Good afternoon, I think you need to contact GTAC.

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Hi @Andres_Soto ,

I'm not sure but did you check the firewall or system logs for the according to the opearitions ? Maybe you can catch the an extraordinary event. And also , the best way that , you should ask it to GTAC.

Best Regards

Gurkan

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

We actually had an IR opened in GTAC, but they did not know to explain the root of the problem

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

We have made the test in a machine without firewall or antivirus software and the results were the same.

We have also perform tests while we obtained logs from softwares like Wireshark and Process Monitor. In the case of Wireshark we could see that it seems that Excel + Tc Add-in tries to connect to some IPs that in the case that you have no internet access could be delaying the opening of the file due to it tries this connection several times until the file opens.

However this is only a theory

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Do you recognize the IP address(es) you captured w/wireshark?
What version of Teamcenter, MS Office and is Office the online version or local?

Can you try a Word document with no content?
The reason I suggest this is that MS collects data if you allow it.
See https://betanews.com/2019/05/12/microsoft-office-data-collection/

If it happens with an empty doc then you know its likely the MSO system and not Teamcenter nor the COM plugin which don't normally have these external connection issues. If it doesn't happen then you know to check the Excel file itself.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi @RandyEllsworth 

With Microsoft Network Monitor we have recognized that with TC Add-in enabled (even if you have an Excel file opened and you disable/enable the Add-in) or opening an Excel file from a dataset in Teamcenter, it is trying to reach several externals IP of organizations like Cloudflare, Akamai or Fastly (if you open an Excel with the Add-in disabled, it only tries to connect to Microsoft IPs).

We are working with Teamcenter 11.4 and the issue happens both with 2013 and 2016 MS Office versions. MS Office is installed locally.

if by empty Word/Excel files do you mean withouth the TC add-in, in this case the opening times are normal (2-3 seconds) 

Regards

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
@Andres_Soto, you may need better granularity to figure out exactly what is happening.
https://www.plixer.com/blog/general/computer-connecting-to-akamai-technologies/
I don't see a way to change your results based on what I've read. Those are all CDN delivery platforms.

Tc11.x does have a patching bug that requires you to manually create the patch set (from Tc11.2 base then adding the patch software on top then patching using the exe). See 002-7009231:
https://solutions.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/view.php?sort=desc&p=1&q=7009231&file_type...

Otherwise, I think you'll have to talk to GTAC/Development to figure out what they put into the COM program. There is no way for us to edit it AFAIK.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Hello Andres_Soto

A customer of us has the same issue. Did you found a solution to that problem?

Thank you for any advice!