Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export NX part to desktop when Teamcenter crashed

Builder
Builder

Hello, I am trying to figure out how can I export NX part to my desktop. A user of mine had a NX session and Teamcenter session up. He modified the part. For some reasons, it won't save back to Teamcenter. 

If it is catia integration, I will just tell him save it to your desktop and upload the dataset. But I search throughout NX, and did not find similiar thing. I assume it is because NX retrieves part directly from database.

Maybe this is about some administrative experience. What shall I do at such situation? 

Thank your for any reply!

5 REPLIES

Re: Export NX part to desktop when Teamcenter crashed

Solution Partner Honored Contributor Solution Partner Honored Contributor
Solution Partner Honored Contributor

Builder
Builder

Thanks Randy. I will keep it in mind.

But today this user was a CATIA designer, asked me how to export it to his desktop directly. I said I don't know..You need to save back to Teamcenter and download the dataset. Then, .....

So assuming every connection is good, TC & NX work fine, I just can't export the current part in NX session out? 

Phenom
Phenom

Hello, if you just need to save the data locally from Teamcenter, then use the Export Assembly

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/11.0.2/nx_help#uid:index_tcint:xid881601:id1299536

Solution Partner Honored Contributor Solution Partner Honored Contributor
Solution Partner Honored Contributor

@will1, your lead up to a question is confusing. Catia or NX? I assume you are asking about NX.

NX is not your normal type of file. Saving to Tc and downloading the dataset to the Desktop is a bad idea. Here's why: An NX part is actually a small database and every database requires referential integrity. NX saves the Tc name internally which has a basic form of @db\<item_id>\<rev_id>. Try opening these parts in NX native that have wave links or other part references, like assemblies, using this format and the load/open will fail.

You can save NX stuff from Tc to the Desktop a few ways:
1. Export on Checkout - will save parts to a local directory until they are checked in. Uses atDB format.
2. From NX, Export from Teamcenter (as @ArthurRM pointed out above). Uses atDB format.
3. From Tc, set site preference PIE_IMF_FOR_CAD=NO (restart all services), then perform a PLMXML export using transfer mode "ConfiguredDataFilesExportDefault". Uses file name shown in Named References.

Only method 3 above will allow you to actually open an assembly in NX native after being exported from Teamcenter. A point of caution, the file name shown in Named References is how the part will be named when exported so beware of duplicates.

For importing back into Tc, use the NX method "Import Assembly into Teamcenter". It leverages the NX clone utility which renames all the parts (and references) to the atDB naming. NX clone is the ONLY supported method for importing NX data that maintains referential integrity.

Note: I've had to use atDB instead of "@DB" because this forum.

See "Renaming parts using OS commands": https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/11.0.2/nx_help#uid:index_tcint:id1299690:id1299726:c...

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Builder
Builder

Thank for providing the mechanism here. I understood