Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FCC Cache File name conventions

Creator
Creator

Does anyone know why the files in the FCCCache folder have names like:

fmsr_0000000000000571000b955f19d45d9f

Does that string of numbers contain information related to the dataset ID? Those numbers seem totally random. And I am wondering if there was a way I could get the dataset ID from that number string.

I would also just like any information related to those fmsr_####### names in general.

Can anyone help with this?

5 REPLIES

Re: FCC Cache File name conventions

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
You are referring to the File Client Cache configured as a segment cache. The file names are important to the seg/hsh/mf files that keep track of the segment cache. File names cannot be deciphered from the segment cache which obfuscates the names intentionally. If your requirement is to view actual file names (dataset name is different than file name) then configure a Whole Cache instead of a Segment Cache (see fcc.xml).

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Creator
Creator

Very interesting and informative, thank you. I did not know that the fmsr_##### names were a deliberate obfuscation of the actual file name. At least I now know there is no way to map the dataset id or the name listed in named references to the fmsr_######## names I see in my FCCCache.

As to your other point about configuring whole instead of segment cache... am I missing something other than commenting out the blocks under whole file cache (then running genregxml.bat/clearing cache)?

I am going to continue looking into this whole file cache configuration, but the files in my FCCCache are still showing fmsr_#####.

Thank you very much Randy for your help so far.

Solution Partner Phenom
You'll want to review the system administration guide, ch 9, for the FMS client cache section to become more familiar. The neat thing about whole file versus segment is that the whole file doesn't need to be tuned while the segment does.
In the fcc.xml you'll want to uncomment and configure the "general", "common cache" and "whole file cache" sections. Remember this is java and java needs either $HOME or $USER in path statements. If you intend to store files outside of your profile then you'll want to change the values for FCC_LogFile and FCC_CacheLocation.
The default stores in your $HOME which is C:\Users\<yourname>\ but I like to add an env name to the path in case of multiple client installations on the same workstation. Something like C:\Temp\PD\$USER\...
Remember to delete C:\Users\<yourname>\FCCCache before starting Teamcenter again. Hint: you may have to stop a running fcc process (java.exe) before you can delete the folder.

Solution Partner Phenom
Oh, and increase the read cache size from the default (1G) to 4G. Write cache should be fine at 1G.

Creator
Creator

Your the man Randy! Thank you so much for your help! I really sincerely appreciate it!