cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folder Access privilege : Moving a volume from server A to server B.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you for reading this post.

I have some questions about Folder Access privilege.

I moved the volume folder from Server A to Server B.  After we finish moving the volume from Server A to Server B, the access rule of Volume folder in Server B is different from the access rule of Volume folder in Server B. I expected that because of access rule Teacemtenr cannot access to Volume folder in Server B. 

So my questions is : 

- To access Volume folder, Who dose teamcenter use to access volume folder such as System or Administrated user?

- When I log in to Teamcenter with UserA, not infodba and create PDF dataset, this pdf owner is UserA, right?

- After moving volume folder to Server B, Should I modify each files under Volume folder?  (I think it takes too much time...)

1 REPLY

Re: Folder Access privilege : Moving a volume from server A to server B.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
The owner of the volume, and files in the volume, is the user who is running the FSC service. Lets say that you don't want "infodba" to run the FSC service so you pick another user, in my case, "ACME\Fred" is running the FSC service...
1. Change ownership of all folders/files to ACME\Fred by right-click Volumes > Properties, Security (tab) > click Advanced, Owner > click Change. Enter ACME\Fred, OK. Check "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object", OK. Close Properties.
2. Grant full control to ACME\Fred by right-click Volumes > Properties, Security (tab) > select ACME\Fred, click Edit, check Full control, Apply, click Advanced, select ACME\Fred, click Change Permissions, check "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object", OK. Close Properties.
3. Add ACME\Fred as an Author in Teamcenter. Yep, that's right, if you decide not to use the built-in account then you will consume a license for this "service" user.
4. Restart all services.

All files are written to and read from the volumes as ACME\Fred. Ownership of the Dataset object in Teamcenter is still whomever created it. But the underlying file(s) (in named references) are owned by Fred.

BTW, I don't use the built-in account on anything but Dev which is a single server. All others have a specific "service" domain level account. Why domain level? Since it needs to have the same permissions across many servers (local accounts are all unique).

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2