cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Solidworks dataset name to be same as revision

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello all,

In the solidworks integration with Teamcenter, currently when save back to Teamcenter, the dataset name is part number. The physical file is also part number in the name reference.

What can I do to change that name to be the same as revision or baseline. For the figure, I am wrong. Windows does not allow "/". I mean 000077_A. I know Catia can do that. I just don't know how can i do this in solidworks.. Thanks for any replies!1111.png

21 REPLIES

Re: Get Solidworks dataset name to be same as revision

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Solidworks integration (SWiM) controls the dataset name and it has to match with CAD file name.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

To change the named reference when you save from SWIM - in your swim.properties file, uncomment  "checkin.modelname.show = false" and switch it to true. I prefer to leave the file as is and copy all my uncommented and changed parameters to the top to see quickly what has changed. Once you switch this to treu, you will then see the model name on the save screen and modify it as needed. 

From the swim.properties file:

# checkin.modelname.show = false
# This preference controls if the SolidWorks model name field is shown
# in the Create New and Save dialogs. If false, the model name field
# does not appear on the dialogs. When false, Create New will result
# in a model name same as Item ID. The Save dialog will handle
# model name according to the autorename preference settings. If set
# to true, the model name field appears on the dialog. When true, the
# value will be populated with default values but the user can modify
# the value.

Jamie Griffis

Mercury PLM Services

Pioneer
Pioneer
Sorry for the late response. So basically, there will be no revision ID on datasets? I went through lots of things, and indeed I did not find any. I can create a 000001/A SW data set and upload a .sldprt file. When I save it back to Teamcenter, it adds another dataset 000001 without revision ID A.

Pioneer
Pioneer
Thanks for the methods of copying all the changed parameter on the top. It is really a good way... I played around with this a little. So for rev A, I set model name to be ***_A. Then, I revise it in SW. set model name ***_B. so that I can control it. in Teamcenter, on the item rev B, I saw two data sets A and B. it seems it gonna save twice. It is pretty manual. But helps.

BTW, do you agree with the reply above? data set name = CAD file name?

I think I got have a ticket with GTAC. how to revision control SW data sets...We want to export CAD files and see revision on physical files.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

"So basically, there will be no revision ID on datasets?". That is correct.  This is how SWIM/Solidworks has always worked and is also one of it's major limitations. 

For example, you can only have one revision of a SW part retrieved from TC at a time, so if you have multiple revisions of the same SW models throughout a BOM, you are forced to choose which revision you want to represent them all during a check-out operation. The end result is that you are viewing and working on data that is not fully representative of what's been saved to TC.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Genius
Genius

Try "DATASET_saveas_Pattern" preference as descriped in the Pic. let me know if you have anyquestions

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks Larry. I agree with you. I have been working on it quite a while. My boss is like in Teamcenter, he wants to see part NO./A for solidwork dataset. In the local directory, he wants the part NO._A for physical file name....

In CATIA, it works that way though. But in Solidworks, not to me so far.

I am gonna contact GTAC and give GTAC answer to him I guess...

Pioneer
Pioneer

Venny, that preference defines the general dataset naming rule. But once you save a model from Solidworks to Teamcenter, revision ID will not be there. 

If you manually add revision ID like add a /A, the dataset won't load .

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

GTAC will tell you the same thing I did, but ask for an enhancement request anyway.  The issue is specific to SWIM/Solidworks. The fact that SWIM/Solidworks doesn't support multiple revisions in a BOM causes us problems.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,