Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Handling CAD-part configurations in single Item in Teamcenter

Hi,

If a CAD part file contains different configurations (for ex. a nut/bolt with different configurations depending upon height, diameter, etc.)

and different assemblies need to save/load different configurations of this part i.e. Item, (for ex. Assembly1 should have nut of dia 3 and assembly2 should have nut of dia 4)

can it be saved in Teamcenter under just ONE item ? If yes, how ?

4 REPLIES

Re: Handling CAD-part configurations in single Item in Teamcenter

This is best handled by part families, having multiple solids in one part is not a good way to go with Teamcenter.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Thanks for your response.

The situation is: How the CAD-side is handled is decided by me or my team.  And the CAD-system, which we are going to integrate, handles multiple configurations of a 3D Model in one file. so we are supposed to deal with this. Therefore we are trying to figure out the best way possible.

As of now the only option we have figured out is

1. have different 'Part' (Item type) types represent different configurations

2. The Part Revisions share the same dataset

3. a Design Revision will hold 'representation_for' relation with the Part Revision

4. Design Revision will be the one which will take part in assemblies

Is there any better way to deal with this ?

Hi Stefan,

As far as I understand part families, they have a fixed no of features and what changes is only the values of their dimensions. This is then handled using a table in CAD and using Classification Module in Teamcenter.

My response yesterday about the configurations was vague: Here I have some more info:

I just saw few examples of the CAD files with different configurations, where some configurations might have few features/solids while the same features/solids suppressed in other configurations. For ex. a configuration has edge with fillet and other config has edge without (or suppressed) fillet.

Any idea how such configurations can be handled ?

Suppress by expression does also work with part families, so you can suppress a feature for a different variant of the part.

A part family supports attributes, expressions, components and more to be driven by the spreadsheet.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community