Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Folder "Not Responding"

I have a user whose "Home Folder" will not open. When it is selected from the "Quick Links" area, a tab starts, but always shows as "Not Responding" in the tab. We can see the home folder by using the double arrows next to it in the "Quick Links" area, and the folders under the home folder will open in tabs next to the "Quick Links" area.

Have tried the following:

1. Delete RAC, FCCCache, and %TEMP% files.
  2. Reinstall of TC
  3. Open on another computer and see if it opens. It did the first time the user tried, but the next time he tried he got the same "Not Responding" error.
  4. When I log on to TC thru my user id on his box, it works fine for me.
  5. Drew a pentagram on the floor, placed candles at all points and cut off the lights while performing a ritualistic dance and chant.

No luck on any though #5 was sorta fun...

Any suggestions? Apologies if I have not provided enough information.

10 REPLIES

Re: Home Folder "Not Responding"

Solution Partner Honored Contributor Solution Partner Honored Contributor
Solution Partner Honored Contributor
Can you, as an admin, search for his Home folder and paste it into your own. Then try to expand it. If it fails then there may be a corrupt object in that users Home that is preventing it from opening which will be reported in the syslog.

Another but less likely option is reset_user_home_folder...
https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/tc/11.4/help/#uid:reset_user_home_folder

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Betreff: Home Folder "Not Responding"

Experimenter
Experimenter

...maybe a reset from the home folder will help you:

preferences_manager -u=infodba -p=*** -g=dba -mode=clear -scope=USER -target=USERNAME

Regards

Michael

Great idea on looking for a corrupt object in the Home folder. I went thru and expanded down to at least the item/item revision level of everything that is in his Home folder (it was quite a bit). I didn't find anything that prevented anything from opening, but there is simply too many items in the Home folder for me to expand all the way down.

Not sure I have the "power" to run the clean up but I will look for someone in the organization who might be able to help and will follow up with the results of trying that.

Thanks again Randy!

Lots of stuff in Home is a problem since they all need to be resolved before Home is displayed. Best practice is to keep stuff in sub folders of Home so that the resolve is faster/easier. See if you can cut the stuff in Home and paste it into a sub folder of Home for him then try to login again.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it is already in subfolders. I was considering cutting the folders out though and seeing if that helps him. Also has some mail in his Teamcenter mailbox that has subfolders with loads of data in them.

Not sure why his issue is "contagious" though. Like, why all of the sudden does a different user have the same problem with his home folder now that the original user has logged into Teamcenter on the different user's box?

Only the things directly in the Home folder need to be resolved when they log in. When clicking on a sub-folder then those things need to be resolved (access, visibility, etc.). Hopefully that makes sense.

The "contagious" part does not make sense unless the user logged in with the same credentials since FCCCache and other settings are stored in the users profile. You can try modifying the Desktop icon, properties, and adding " -clean" (without quotes) to the end of the Target. E.g. <path-to-Teamcenter>\portal\portal.bat -clean
This will empty the cache without requiring an admin. Make sure to remove it after the original user logs in. This assumes you are using a 4tier Rich Client and not a 2tier.

Could this have anything to do with it? The query_results in the Relation column?

Home.png

That would normally say "Contents". Could be an indication or not, don't know. We've gone through all the normal things to resolve so at this point I would recommend that you reach out to your solution partner or GTAC for assistance. Let us know your progress or resolution.

Legend
Legend

Check tcserver syslog to see if it indicates any error

---

Thanks and Regards

Yogesh Fegade