Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How could set Smart Naming Rule in BMIDE ( Teamcenter )

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hi,

Firstly the steps that I did : 

1)In BMIDE go to navigation pane right click on Naming rule create new naming rule

2)provide name & desc

3)click add button to add rule pattern

4)add particular naming rule to item_id

5)then save & deploy 

However I need to use Smart Naming Rule in BMIDE(Teamcenter). I have a naming rule and I want to apply it for an item.

My naming rule is below and I have set it to an item_id.

( "a"XXXXX"_"NNN"[C,R,L,X]"@@NNN@@@NNNNNN ; "p"XXXXX"_"NNN"[C,R,L,X]"@@NNN@@@NNNNNN ; "w"XXXXX"_"NNN"[C,R,L,X]"@@NNN@@@NNNNNN)

I made this rules to an item_id, but I only could fill manually (I want to assign automatically) and I want to some options for some parts of this rule. (for example for starting (a,p,w) I want to choose from a list ; for (C,R,L,X) also I want to choose from a list).

Thus, I want to use Smart Naming Rule in this item. How should I use and how can I do? Could you help?

Thanks in advance.

12 REPLIES

Re: How could set Smart Naming Rule in BMIDE ( Teamcenter )

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend
I think you're going to have to explore multi-field keys to accomplish this.
Arden Bedell | Teamcenter Wonk | Applied CAx, LLC

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend

Look in BMIDE at ID Generator. You can have as many LOV's as you want but only one counter. 

Also, look at this post, we discussed it some for another user. 

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Teamcenter-Administrators-Forum/initial-value-for-ru...

Jamie Griffis

Highlighted

Hi @Jamie_Griffis and @ardenb , thanks for your answers. I made the steps which explained in BMIDE about intelligent part numbers, in the end I attached my ID Generation Rule to the relational item_id. However it happened as the screenshot below. It looks like there isn't any naming rule for item_id , and my rules coming in the second windows, I fill them but couldn't see them after I create item. My expactation is to set them as a item_id naming rule. I could write "everything" for item_id but I expect to use Department,MakeBuy,Test01,ProductLine and Unit for item_id (naming rule). 

Thanks in advance.

FileNewItem03.JPGFileNewItem02.JPG

There are some steps in the link which is below and I think they are the same with my steps.

https://www.bct-technology.com/en/support/tips-tricks/teamcenter-112-intelligent-part-numbering.html...

Gears Legend

In my opinion, there are still some design flaws in this ID Generator. To move your selections to be displayed first, change your "create" stylesheet for this item. Just note, you can't remove the Item ID or it breaks.  

Here is my working example updated to mimic your properties:

IDG.JPG

Jamie

Thank you for your kind answer @Jamie_Griffis. I set the XMLStylesheet as your suggestion, and the window is okey but the attachment doesn't work. I attached all these (Department,ProductLine,Unit,MakeBuy) as an Item_id (naming rule parts) name. Do you have any idea about this? 

ItemCreate.JPGRuleAttachment.JPG

Gears Legend

I'm not clear on the issue. If you make your selections from Dept, Make Buy, Product Line, Unit then do not type anything in Item ID, do not hit the assign button on Item ID, it doesn't give you the smart part number? If not, you'll need to send me screenshots of your ID Generator rule and how you built it and how you attached it to this Item ID.

My scenario is similar to what you see below. We select our 4 values, fill in the Rev ID, and all additional info, but we do not touch Item ID. When we hit finish, we get the new number but we can't see it until after we hit finish.

Jamie

Hello @Jamie_Griffis and @ardenb again. After I made the same processes on a different custom item, all the processes finished successfully and, it is working. I understood it is a particular issue and I have started to investigate this.

Only I need to know if it is possible or not. Could you please answer these?

1) Could I set some of parts to write manually(without dropdown list) in Intelligent Part Numbering . For example; there are 5 parts to create an intelligent number, the first part has LOV(dropdown list), second part to fill manually(without LOV),third part again with LOV(number range from 001 to 999), forth part with LOV and the last part counter.

2) If I wanted to attach a LOV(dropdownlist) to item name without any other thing, is it possible?

Thanks in advance.

Gears Legend

1. From my understanding, no part of the ID Generator is manual entry. I've not attempted it and it doesn't say anything in the documents. It is best if you call Gtac to get more guidance. I think you are looking at a customization but maybe Gtac has a solution for you.

2. Why do you want to do this? And what do you mean "without any other thing"? It would seem like a lot of maintenance to keep an LOV to object_name updated unless you left it as suggestive and then that kind of defeats the purpose of the LOV. 

Jamie

Okey @Jamie_Griffis , I got it and thank you very much for your answers.

Kind Regards.