cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fill object_desc of Item In a workflow

Creator
Creator

Hello all,
we are working with a very simple workflow to put obsolete status on items, but we would like to ask to the user the code of the item that could replace the obsolete item.
They have "order" to fill the replace code in the object_desc of the "old" item but, of course, they usually forget to fill it.

Is there any way that the workflow can request to the user this code and fill the object_desc?

Thanks a lot and Regards

3 REPLIES

Re: How to fill object_desc of Item In a workflow

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Sure.  WF handler, EPM-set-property, can set a value to it or EPM-check-object-properties can verify that a property has a specificied value.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Legend
Legend

However, if you want to "ask" user in the middle of the workflow what the new/superceded item number is, then you will have to use the handler EPM-display-form in combination with EPM-create-form.

The workflow is executed on server, so there is no direct way to throw an user interface dialog asking user some information. EPM-display-form allows you to do that. It requires you to define new form and associated schema using BMIDE.

Alternatively, you could add a mandatory field on the item revision or on ECN. have user fill that in, check it in the workflow using EPM-check-object-properties handler as Larry suggested. If you do that then you may not have to insert it into the description.

---

Thanks and Regards

Yogesh Fegade

Creator
Creator

I feared ...
I'll try what you propose to me but I think we will end up doing throwing a customization.

I keep you posted.

Thanks and regards