Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to map Solidworks part derived from another solidworks part in Teamcenter integration manager?

Hello Team,

1. When we design a new Solidworks part we insert SolidWorks part (Called Master part)from which my every Solidworks part is derived,  

2. The master part having all CAD Standard Constraints, lines, planes, references and other High-level information.

3. Standalone Solidworks allows us to insert a part in part (Insert--> Part) and both parts will have active link between them

4. change in master part leads to change in every SolidWorks part which was derived from this part. (dependency will be maintained)

5. But when we are using Teamcenter integration manager, we are not finding any functionality which can suit the requirement.

6. We are not able to insert Teamcenter Master part in SolidWorks part 

7. for assembly we can insert a part, but for part level how to map this requirement.

8. for More reference I have added below snap:-

Part Dependencies.jpg

Regards,

Ganesh

6 REPLIES

Re: How to map Solidworks part derived from another solidworks part in Teamcenter integration manage

NX had something similar where the drawing border was actually a "picture" and updating the "picture" part would update all your drawing borders where it was used. That was a terrible idea for running in managed mode because you want to have complete control when making updates to parts.

The "seed" part idea only works if the connection is broken. Meaning that you import the "seed" part and the settings are frozen at that time. Future updates to seed parts have no effect on existing parts and changes to the seed part will only effect new parts from that point forward.

Careful of automatic updates as they will land you in deep water very quickly.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Re: How to map Solidworks part derived from another solidworks part in Teamcenter integration manage

Hi Ganesh

Teamcenter can track the part to part relationships, but you need to have both parts open in session for the update to happen.  

However, this is a useful design technique (like to reference an industrial design across several parts), but this link should be broken on release.  All downstream operations (ERP) look at each part as a standalone thing and dont have a way to link them.  

So, just have a readonly copy of the "Master Part" in you working directory and then insert into the new part you are creating and all should work OK.  If the Master Part changes, you will see the icon change to indicate a new version or revision is available and you just update your working folder to see the changes.

If you working folder is empty, and you fetch one of the parts with a reference to the Master and the master can be fetched as well - you can see this with the Open Dependencies form.

Let me know if you have questions.

- Peter Heath - PLM Business Development Manager
ITI - Siemens Development and Solution Partner

Hello @PeterH,

Thanks for the reply.

Standalone Solidworks has the feature to insert part inside a part.

But when we are working in Teamcenter integration environment there is no integration functionality which will allow you to insert part inside part.

For only assembly option "insert model" is enabled.

As per your reply, I think you are suggesting to use SolidWorks functionality to add part inside part and then use Teamcenter integration for saving the part.

In this case, it will save all data in one single CAD file, which will lead to no automation at all.

I mean if there is only one CAD file for part and reference part, the same file I need to open in case of both changes.

Here are the steps I used.

1. Create the master sketch in a new part.
  2. Save this part to Teamcenter (e.g. 007.sldprt)
  3. Create a new part (e.g.008.sldprt)
  4. Insert the 007 part into your new part, and make sure the sketch is visible.
  5. Create a feature on 008 based on the sketch from 007.
  6. Save 008 to Teamcenter.
  7. St this point, you have 2 Solidworks parts in your work folder and both open in session in Solidworks.  If you change the sketch in 007, the feature in 008 will update.
  8. Save both files to Teamcenter, clear you work folder.
  9. Open from Teamcenter and select the 008 object
  10. Depending on the setting of the "Required" filter, both 007 and 008 will be fetched to your work folder.
  11. You can now make the changes to 007 and see them reflected in 008.
  12. SWIM knows about and captures the relatinship between the two part files.

Is there something in this scenario that is different that what you are trying to do?

Exactly this is what we need..

But How are you able to do 4th step, because this is something not supported by SWIM.

Inserting Part file inside Part file is not possible.

Can you tell me which option you use while inserting 007(.sldprt) into 008(.sldprt)?

Thanks in advance

Teamcenter manages the files and will retrieve the correct information from Teamcenter to the local work folder.  The Insert of the part file is a Solidworks function that is done usikng the local files.  We have not implemented an "Insert Part from Teamcenter" function.  

For Step 4, both parts must be present in your local working folder - standard Solidworks stuff.  Then when you open the child (008) it will reflect changes in 007.