Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restrict read only access to released objects?

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Hi all,

I have requirement, where I want to restrict even Read Only access to Released Objects.

Actually, it is for the New Product Development objects so that to maintain confidentiality of the design.

We do not want to show those Released Objects to the other users.

Please suggest solution for this.

Thanks and regards,

Hrishikesh 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: How to restrict read only access to released objects?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Good afternoon, I can offer two solutions:

1) Use read access restriction by status using the ACL tree

2) Use project and ACL to restrict read access

Solution Partner Pioneer

Hi @ArthurRM ,

Thanks for the reply.

Complete scenario is as follows:

I have two Roles: 1. R&D & 2. Engineering

Both are using common workflow with Status 30.

R&D uses different Item Type for the design and Engineering uses different Item type for the design.

Now as I mentioned, R&D users do not want Engineering users to access their data when it is in Working or Released.

But after sometime when R&D decides to transfer(Change Ownership) this data to Engineering then they want to provide access to the Engineering users.

So how we can achieve this.

Thanks and regards,

Hrishikesh 

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Good afternoon, these conditions are somewhat different from the conditions from your first post.

Do you want to restrict access to released data (with status)? Or do you want to restrict access to released data (with status), and data in work (without status)?

You have one group and in it two roles 1. R & D and 2. Engineering? Or do you have two different groups, in one group the role 1. R & D, in the second group 2. Engineering?

If you have two different groups, then you can make a restriction on groups, I think it will be easier to do than on roles.

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
@Hrishikesh, your job is more difficult due to the different Item types. The R&D Item type is easy to hide from the Engineering role but then showing/authoring after a specific status is achieved is difficult. Especially, if the Item type needs to switch from R&D to Engineering type. Switching types would require that the entire R&D BOM be cloned to the other Item type including attributes without lose of data. That kind of finely detailed operation will require code.

If R&D and Engineering didn't have different Item types, say both used the Design item type, this kind of operation/hand-over would be much simpler and could be managed by attributes/values and ACLs.

Your next choice will likely be to use an R&D Project to control visibility and remove the objects from the Project once a specific status is achieved. But you'll still need code to switch the Item types and likely code to remove the "target" objects from the R&D Project so that this operation can be controlled by a workflow handler instead of an administrator.

The extra "Design" types complicate and restrict your capabilities.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Solution Partner Pioneer

Hi @ArthurRM ,

Yes I want to restrict read access to data in work (without status) and released data (with status).

And I have one group i.e. Engineering and two roles in it R&D and Engineering.

I tried but could achieved what I wanted. Can you help me in this?

Thanks,

Hrishikesh

Siemens Creator Siemens Creator
Siemens Creator
@Hrishikesh,
This is a similar requirement to one of the organizations i had been associated earlier. We had used a combination of Teamcenter projects (where it defines all the groups & users who would need access to those Items belonging to that project) and ACL (where we restricted based on complex ACL Tree Rule structure to restrict access (read/write..) based on (i) Item Types (2) Release Status (2) Owning group.
In these cases, the management becomes difficult over a period of time as one ACL can easily step over the other. So as a best practice, suggest to also create the ACL harness test script for each ACL you put in so that you can run all of those whenever a new addition/.modifications are done.