Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

IPS_Data_Upload - Needs to be supported in the US

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I found out today according to a different thread that IPS_Data_Upload is supported in the UK = (IPS post). It should be available and supported in the US as well. It doesn't seem such a stretch considering it is already supported in a different region. TCXML is obviously an amazing way to bulk import data but IPS also has great advantages and is a supplimental tool for tasks of data migration that TCXML cannot do. I'd like to gather support here from other TC admins, consultant, etc to show Siemens we'd like it supported in the US as well. 

Please comment, kudo or me to this post to show your support of this idea.

Thanks,

Jamie Griffis

Jamie Griffis | PLM Solution Architect | Engineering USA
15 REPLIES 15

Re: IPS_Data_Upload - Needs to be supported in the US

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hi Jamie,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'supported'?

It is 'supported' by UK Services (on I beleive) a time and materials basis.

It is not supported by PD or GTAC. We will always refer IPS calls to services.

Also, it is important to note - IPS can only be used as part of a services engagement (e.g. migration/ initial deployment etc) but should not be part of any final ongoing solution for the above reason.

Regards

Neil

Gears Phenom

@NeilEstall - I understand that it can be supported by services. But my point is that it should be a supported tool. 

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

It is written by services. It cannot therefore be supported / tested or otherwise managed by PD and/or GTAC.

For it to be supported it would need to be owned by PD. This would be a decision which would need to be made by the relevent product managers.

There is no difference between GTAC UK's support of IPS and US GTAC support of IPS but you seem to suggest otherwise? 

Cheers

Neil

Gears Phenom

@NeilEstall - I understand your point. What I wanted to gather from this thread is the interest in the community to have this tool supported by PD. 

Thanks,

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I'm curious. If it was taken on by PD wouldn't it lose some of its flexibility? Any change would be an ER with and associated business case - and that case would need to be stronger to count for the additional cost as a 'supported' product?

I thought one of the strengths of IPS was it was owned by Services?

Just my 2 cents...

Cheers

Neil

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor

@NeilEstall, The strength of IPS Upload is not that its owned by Services. In fact, several companies that I've worked with have purchased IPS without a Services engagement. The tool is powerful because it is flexible, easy to use and can create just about anything whereas the bulk loading tool is complicated and requires a deep understanding of TCXML. Heck, not too long ago the bulk loader required a special license that could only be obtained by attending (no exams) a SITCON course which was never offered because they didn't have enough people. In other words, the Support side could provide zero support and would push everyone to their Services. A real conflict of interest in my opinion that has never been resolved. Many other PLM vendors offer outstanding support for getting data in and out of their applications and Siemens is the only PLM company that makes it so difficult because it has this conflict. This isn't new information.

At Siemens PLM Connections this year, we heard that IPS may become a supported tool or that they may release the code behind it so that the community can support it (like with the NX Custom folder structure for NX). Frankly, this has been an omission for many years now and should be addressed.

We live in an age where no man (or woman) is an island. Services has its place in this world but it shouldn't prevent customers from performing a normal operation, like migrating data into their installation. The value add for Services is not for migrating data but for supplementing a customers efforts not replacing them. They should be hand-in-hand instead of on opposite sides of the table.

I vote for supporting the IPS tool or releasing the code to the community and let us support it. The functionality it provides has been omitted from the product for far too long. Get it onboarded.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Hi Randy

In which case there is a mis communication somewhere. This goes agaisnt the information that I have been given. I have been explicitly told not to do what you have done.

Neil

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
And yet here we are...
The IPS_Upload tool is available in the UK Pricebook.
The IPS_Upload tool has been sold to a number of customers in the US without a Services engagement.
- customers had to sign a "not supported" document to obtain the tool.
There have been discussions at Siemens PLM Connections for making IPD_Upload available in the US pricebook and failing that to offer the source code to the community.
And GTAC continues to push customers to Siemens PLM Services.

I think that about sums it up. What a wonderful world we live in.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

so... to my original point... it isn't supported (by GTAC /PD) ?

Maybe there is due diligence to be done before making this publicly available as source code (and perhaps why there was a training requirement with TCXML)? IMHO – feel free to disagree, it is an incredibly powerful tool and maybe, just maybe, someone without real understanding of the datamodel could load data which could have a significant impact down the road (I’ve seen it happen, not with IPS but in other instances). I’m not sure it is necessarily as simple as releasing the code.

Of course I agree we should augment customers not get them to pay for work that can do. As part of that we have a duty of care to our customers and sometimes protect them from themselves. Maybe.