Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: IPS_Data_Upload - Needs to be supported in the US

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Yes it is powerful. But so is TCXML, which is a supported tool and available to all to use without training. I'd say TCXML can get you into more trouble and quite a bit faster than IPS. What is the difference then? At least IPS has validation in place with uploading while TCXML doesn't. 

Jamie

Jamie Griffis | PLM Solution Architect | Engineering USA

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Yes, we all agree that the tool is not supported by GTAC/PD. Where we seem to disagree is that it should be supported. And we disagree further on the subject of protecting customers from themselves. They've paid a great deal of money for Teamcenter and continue to pay for maintenance and support yet we feel it necessary to deny them a robust way to get data into their application without paying an additional fee that can be quit substantial and even cost prohibitive for small organizations. Stop the madness.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hi Jamie,

I didn't think low level tcxml import was possible without the SITCONS key (and training). Maybe this requirement has been removed?

My aim of my original post was to highlight that IPS has some non-technical considerations which can impact our customers’ success. And in doing so, help people make good choices.

Instead it seems to have tapped into a seam of frustration and is sprawling into something else so I will bow out.

Good luck with getting IPS to the position you want it to be. I hope my comments may have helped in some way.

Cheers

Gears Phenom
TCXML is available to all without SITCONS at 10.1.5 and 11.x, unless that is different outside the US? You don't even have to go through training as far as I know (and yes, I've been through the bulk load training). You must get a migration site ID from Gtac, but that is all that I can think of that currently could stop a user from using the tools.

Jamie
Jamie Griffis | PLM Solution Architect | Engineering USA

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
@NeilEstall, thanks for contributing to the conversation so that all will know the arguments that have been used for years. It was a useful exercise.

Bulk Loader was branched off SITCON (Tc10.1?) and no longer requires the SITCON key (but still requires a Site ID requested from GTAC). The reason is that the traditional migration routes (Classic Multisite [CMS] and Global Multisite [GMS]) options were slow and ineffective for large migrations. And IPS_Upload was unsupported. That forced a "trickle" approach that left both systems active for a period of time which can be a real headache. The Bulk Loader approach accomplishes a single load over a weekend and enables you to turn off the old system. From my personal experience, it reduced an 8 month migration using GMS to a single day (actually a little less than 6 hours).

BTW, I did attend the SITCON class (finally - it took two years and a lot of cajoling) and obtained the key however there was no exam given and no proof that I understood what I was doing anymore than someone who didn't attend. This handcuffed Partners for a long time with the only avenue for customers was through SPLM Services.

The community is still feeling a little bruised as you can tell from our responses.

So it comes down to this question, why isn't IPS_Upload already in the Pricebook? Because their isn't any development support. A few folks from SPLM Services have to regularly repair and compile code for each new Tc version. Sometimes they have to refactor due to changes in functions (ITK). Siemens can either assign a developer to maintain the IPS_Upload code or release the code to the community. Either approach works for us.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Gears Phenom

Good afternoon, I would like to say that I'm for making ips_data_upload available from OOTB. This is a fairly powerful tool and I think that you need to give him freedom.

I'm currently using bulk loader and tcxml, I have not been trained to use these tools, all I have is the documentation and the test environment. But I do not always have enough of what is written in the documentation, there are not enough examples and some things are not fully described.
Sometimes I appeal for help to the community (I want to say a special thank you to @Jamie_Griffis and @RandyEllsworth), in rare cases in GTAC (I also want to thank the GTAC team). That's all I have.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Agreed, this needs official GTAC support in the US. The tool is powerful but the documentation is lacking. It helps cover many gaps in the migration utilities available OOTB.