Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPS_data_upload utility - removing relationships

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience removing relationships with the IPS_data_upload utility developed by Siemens PLM services?

We have a pesky item revision that is referenced everywhere. Instead of assigning our intern to perform the Cut action in RAC a few million times to get rid of it, I figured maybe we could just supply the IPS_data_upload utility this data file:

ChildID~ChildRev~RelationName

theRevIDWeWantToCut~A~IMAN_reference

And this for the config file:

RELATION CHILD RELATION = IMAN_reference

CUT RELATIONS = ON

To have it look for the secondary object with the supplied ID and cut it from everything it is related to via IMAN_reference.

What do you think, good idea? Unfortunately the documentation is somewhat lacking for this utility, despite the fact that it is far more powerful than OOTB tools like tcxml_import.

Thanks,

Joe

4 REPLIES 4

Re: IPS_data_upload utility - removing relationships

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@Joe2019  - Yes, CUT RELATIONS = ON will work to remove that relation, but you'll need both the Parent ID & Rev along with the Child ID & Rev. Add RELATION NAME = IMAN_reference to your configuration file if you don't want to define it in each line.

Jamie Griffis | PLM Solution Architect | Engineering USA

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks Jamie! Was hoping wouldn't have to supply the Parent ID & Rev because it means we'll have a giant data file with millions of ItemID's.

The data file now looks like this, what do you think?

!~ItemID~ItemRev~ChildID~ChildRev

000001~A~theChildID~A

000001~B~theChildID~A

000001~C~theChildID~A

000002~A~theChildID~A

000002~B~theChildID~A

And the config file looks like this:

RELATION NAME = IMAN_reference

CUT RELATIONS = ON

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@Joe2019 - Unfortunately it will error on you if you don't have a parent. But you load file should work, looks just like mine did. You might need to set bypass... that was in my config file, but I usually just always leave it on.

A million lines? Someone was determined to relate that item to everything! :)

Jamie Griffis | PLM Solution Architect | Engineering USA

Experimenter
Experimenter

@Jamie_Griffis 

Haha yes, someone was. And then that someone saw how bad performance was when you relate millions of objects to a single rev, did a facepalm, and signed up to ask the pros here about IPS Upload.

You know, this might not have been a problem if they just had a preference or setting in the RAC to prevent objects from loading every darned relationship into memory as soon as you click on them. It freezes the client and hits the pool manager and database pretty hard. I remember they had this issue with Projects - as soon as you click them they try to load everything associated with them and lock up the client.

P.S. If I recall correctly, ITK allows for this in some of the POM and relationship calls specifically due to the reasons listed above.