Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact Analyses for Change Management

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi All,

Within CM it is important to define the Impacted Items on an ECR. Standard you should use the Impact Analyses Tab, a graphical way to show the where used or where referenced. For presentation purposes this works very fine. You have a small structure, so the overview is great.

In practice it is a little bit more complicated:

• You have a Structure with a lot of levels
  • You have a Part that is used in a lot of BOM's 
  • You have a lot of Parts on every level

The problem with this is, you don't have a good overview.

Another point is that the info showing for every part is or Number/Rev/Name or Status.

In a lot of cases you want to have a combination of this.

The filter option could be very strong. But you need to have a filter on the filter. End users don't understand how to use this filter because all the ObjectTypes in the database are shown. I want only the objecttypes that are used by the company.

What we really need for defining the Impacted Items is a Multi Level Where used, with the possibility to filter on every attribute that is show on this stylesheet.

My Questions are:

• What are other customers using to define the impacted items?
    • Impact Analyses
    • Multi Level Where use
  • Is it possible to change the labels in the Impact Analyses?
  • How to change the values in the filter

This is a big discussion with the users who have to define the impacted items on an ECR and I can understand them, because the OOTB functionality is not working.

Kind regards,

Menk Slot

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Impact Analyses for Change Management

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
The ootb functionality does work, it's cumbersome in some situations and you don't like it. Sounds like an ER. Have you tried Active Workspace yet? Searching and filtering are MUCH stronger.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Re: Impact Analyses for Change Management

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the response. No we didn't try Active Workspace yet, but i was in a discussion with someone who is using ACW for CM and he had the same problem. I have a little bit the impressions that not so many companies use TC for CM, because this Impact Analyses doesn't work. I asked the Question what other companies are using, but no reaction (only you and someone on linkedin)

I can imagine that the duplicate function in PSE could be a solution:

Within the Structure you could define the objects for Save As and the objects for Revise. The Old objects would be the impacted and the Solution Items will be defined at the same time coming from the Save As and/or Revise.

If more companies would have the same problem, it would be more simple to push Siemens to create an ER for this