Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Import Solidworks data with same filenames into Teamcenter using SWIM

Builder
Builder

I have approx 80k solidworks files with same filename but different file extension in windows file system.

HMCR0004.SLDDRW
HMCR0004.SLDASM
HMCR0004.SLDPRT

I need to import these file into Teamcenter 11 which has integration with Solidworks. I am using SWIMIMPORT along with input file to import. All the files has to go to different ITEM/ITEM REVISION. But in this case. Three ITEMS are created and all the files are imported to each ITEM REVISION. Below is the screenshot after import using SWIMINPORT with input file.

1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG

Below is the input file used.

D:\SOLIDWORKS\HMCR0004.SLDDRW item_id=045723 item_revision_id=A item_name=HMCR0004-DRW item_type=Item model_type=slddrw
D:\SOLIDWORKS\HMCR0004.SLDASM item_id=045724 item_revision_id=A item_name=HMCR0004-ASM item_type=Item model_type=sldasm
D:\SOLIDWORKS\HMCR0004.sldprt item_id=045725 item_revision_id=A item_name=HMCR0004-PRT item_type=Item model_type=sldprt

Below is the commandline arguments passed

swimimport.bat -u=infodba-p=infodba -g=dba -overwrite -log=D:\SLDContent\Asm_Import.log D:\SLDContent\InputFile.txt

The log file is not much of help here.

Any input or suggestion is really helpful. I have more than 1 million solidworks data which is being migrated into Teamcenter. Facing this issue only with same file names.

Regards,
Santosh
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Import Solidworks data with same filenames into Teamcenter using SWIM

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi Santosh

We author the SWIM integration for SIemens and also provide services around Migration and Implementation.  You have a lot more data than is going to be readily able to be imported using these tools. 

The tools work fine (we write and test them), but they use standard Teamcenter processing and rules and as a result run slowly and require a lot of effort on your part to define how you want to to be loaded into Teamcenter.

Are the 1M files being managed by some PDM system at this time?  There are other pieces of metadata that will be lost using these tools for migration.

In addition, there are many data situations (configurations, toolbox, users, groups, naming conventions) that are not easy to understand.

If you would like some help from us in both understanding how Solidworks and Teamcenter can work together as well as some advice and perhaps services around migration, please contact me.

(By the way, you cannot have a part and an assembly in the same Item. Try saving this data interactively using SWIM as well.)

- Peter Heath - PLM Business Development Manager
ITI - Siemens Development and Solution Partner

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Santosh,

I've nearly 50k solidworks files to be migrate into Teamcenter by using SWIM bulk import utility.

I'd tried simple assembly migration using gui option.It worked.

But for bulk data could you please tell me how you done the migration,
Is it there any automated script,pls share if it's?

Are you migrated one by one assembly or parallelly migrated all assemblies for timescale?

How to take configuration value from solid works design table for preparing SWIM bulk import Instruction file?

If suppose i have only solid parts no assembly, could i use IPS upload for importing.

Please reply me.Thanks in Advance!

Regards,

Saravana.

Siemens Genius

Hi Saravana

- First, do no use ips upload for CAD data as it does not create the information needed for the integration to work properly.

As noted above, migration involves a lot of detailed work.  There are many factors that need to be taken into account.

- What is your Item ID going to be in Teamcenter and where does that value come from for every file you need to load.

- How have Solidworks configurations been used and how are those naming conventions being mapped to Teamcenter?

- Are there toolbox items?

We've been doing migration as a business for over a decade and our dedicated team of migration consultants is still learning the best ways to go through this process after over 120 projects.  There is no magic in this process, you will have to learn all of the steps. 

SWIMImport is robust and has a lot of options, but you need to understand and make decisions for every file that is to be imported.  Read the documentation and continue testing and you can get this all loaded.

If you would like to discuss migration with us, let me know.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi PeterH,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Of course ips upload won't carry Metadata files incontrast to that swim utility.Right now i'm having sldprt files in staging folder and excel file which having all attribute mapping.I require a data analysis document for migration to understand what are the key factors be aware of before migrating cad files.

Thanks,

Saravana.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

I had imported multiple assemblies by using swimbulkimport.Instruction file preparation has took lot of manual work , even though we can cross check file content with gui option of instruction file content.Here methodology i tried first to push all parts then pushed assemblies alone without overwrite parameter executed utility.

Regards,

Saravana.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Though it’s an old thread, I am responding as it may help someone working on similar migration. I am highlighting overall steps in general. There are some intermediate steps in between.

- Built SW based VBA Excel macros to process SW files, like validating asm-child, and drawing-model dependencies, extracting metadata information, etc.
- Prepare a excel sheet (or CSV) with all models with configs and drawings filled, attributes values; into rows and columns based on TC data model
- Generate TC Item ID’s & revisions against the excel sheet (CSV) using IPS upload or custom ITK (based on data model)
- Wrote Java programs to create input files for each top level assembly including drawings needed. This is similar to the input file which SWIMBULKIMPORT generates when Write button in clicked or through -dryrun option
- Run SWIMBULKIMPORT in batches to import each top level assembly at a time

While this procedure needs time in validation and preparation prior to import, it has been mostly successful so far. We have used the same procedure to import SW files where the count ranged from 200 to 60000.

Siemens Genius

Migrating data is a difficult task.  The tools affect the process.  We like to review the business issues that are involved with the data being migrated and then configure our tools to deal with these issues.

What we see in a lot of migrations:

• Duplicates where the customer either wants to consolidate (pick a winner from the duplcates) or create differente items.
    • Note that repeated names for files and therefore datasets can cause confusion later on during interactivce use.
  • Complex rules for assigning various Teamcenter information by a combination of file name, file properties and data from external sources.
  • Challenges in separating past practices and implementing the new ones
  • Combining collections of data (Part, Drawing, PDF, Office) together into an item.
  • Data that does not really match with the image that multiple data consumers expected.  Migration is as much a learning process about users and data as it is a technical challange.

The tools we use enable fast, repeatable migrations with extensive reporting built on many years of experience.  Our customers are relieved at not having to focus on the tools, but on the process.  The process you are outlining is certainly reasonable, but not many companies have the need or capabilities to develop the appropriate level of expertise to migration significant amounts of data.

Anything over 10K files is really challenging if you have not done a few migrations before.  Our tools handle any size well up into the millions.

Most customers dont see the real issues with the data until they are in the middle of data import and they start to see issues.  Then it is often too late and the users have to deal with issues later on until the data ages enough that these issues fade away.

Good luck to everyone with migration!

Builder
Builder
Saravanakumar,

I did this almost 2 years ago. I kept this thread open to get more information.

Below is the process i used.

I used swim_import to import the Solidworks data. To create items and load metadata i used TCXML. TCXML is much much much better that any loader available. I did not use IPS_DATA_UPLOAD or PS_upload.

I initially loaded all Components and its drawing. Then i loaded Assembly and its drawing, instructed to use the existing components from Teamcenter.

The only challenge which i faced during this import is the as described in the first post. The component, Assembly and Drawing had the same name with different extension. It was difficult to identify appropriate drawing. I wrote a Solidworks utility to segregate the files with same name using C#. After segregating i again imported the datasets using swim_import.
Regards,
Santosh

Siemens Genius
This is great. If you have the skill and knowledge to do these things this is excellent. The Bulk Importer was also designed to help enable these kinds of tasks by writing an input file during its operation allowing you to preserve any updates you make in the save form. This should be helpful for programming as well.
As long as the user has access to the data they need in the proper form, the tools are just a detail. There are a lot of paths to each destination.